• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mystery problem

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
So long story short while stuck between two ruts I started getting a popping in my front end accompanied by a lot of movement in my exhaust. Four still seemed to work and pull but just the same I put it in two for safety. I tried it today and in 2 and 4 wheel drive in dry conditions no noise or anything unusual. However I haven't tried anything in wet or slippery. Binding up? Tranny mount? Axle shafts? Ideas or anyone ever had this happen? It's a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4.0, AX15, 231, D30/D35

"a lot of movement in the exhaust"?????? how did you know? what do you mean. Popping from front is indicative of ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

"Stuck between two ruts"...cross-wise with ruts? Running with the ruts? Might just be suspension flexing. My XJ makes lots of noises when flexing...just lets me know it's working...LOL

Need better descriptions of the noice and situation to provide better advise.

Back