• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalled out. Vapor Lock??

Sflxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving my 96 XJ today, a very hot Florida day, a/c on, noticed a stumble when I blipped the throttle, idle was higher than usual, stopped at a traffic light and when I went to take off the Jeep stalled out and wouldn't restart. Seemed like it wasn't getting any gas. Finally restarted it by holding the gas pedal to the floor. Drove it tonight and seems ok. Was it vapor lock? If so, how do I prevent it in the future?

Vapor lock is possible, but not real common on a 96. I would first concentrate more on the basic things that can create a stalling symptom.

*Alway review tuneup hardware. Fresh Champion plugs, new plug wires, distributor cap, rotor.

*Clean throttle body and idle air control thoroughly. They get carboned up over time and miles

*Test your "throttle position sensor". Having to tip in the throttle to start the engine can indicate that this sensor is beginning to fail.

Vapor lock is possible, but not real common on a 96. You really should verify that the operation of BOTH fans is as designed. Both the fan clutch and of course the electrical fan.

After that, I would first concentrate more on the basic things that can create a stalling symptom.

*Alway review tuneup hardware. Fresh Champion plugs, new plug wires, distributor cap, rotor.

*Clean throttle body and idle air control thoroughly. They get carboned up over time and miles

*Test your "throttle position sensor". Having to tip in the throttle to start the engine can indicate that this sensor is beginning to fail.

I was driving my 96 XJ today, a very hot Florida day, a/c on, noticed a stumble when I blipped the throttle, idle was higher than usual, stopped at a traffic light and when I went to take off the Jeep stalled out and wouldn't restart. Seemed like it wasn't getting any gas. Finally restarted it by holding the gas pedal to the floor. Drove it tonight and seems ok. Was it vapor lock? If so, how do I prevent it in the future?

One thing I did to help solve a similar issue on my '98 was to use two sections of rubber fuel line (each about 1 foot long) and put them over the fuel line that runs under the intake manifold (conveniently next to the very hot exhaust manifold). I think it was 3/8" fuel line. I slit the line length-wise using a box-knife and slid it onto the fuel line. It will keep the exhaust heat off the fuel line and prevent vapor lock.

It is next to impossible to get a vapor lock on that system. The boiling point of gas when at 49psi is way up there. Carb's vapor lock because they only run maybe 8 psi.

Back