• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front brake locks at slow speed....?

Crow Horse

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched but haven't found exactly what I was looking for. On my 99 non ABS XJ, when I first drive it and at very slow speed, the front driver's side wheel locks up. It only occurs when it is first driven and after that the brakes are normal and no pulling. The pads & rotors are only 6 mo. old. Any ideas as where I should start to investigate?

well, yeah it seems as if the rotor is being contaminated, flash rusted somehow more than the others, so yeah, if that is leaking on it, sure maybe. What kind of pads are you running? I've had this happen with drum brakes on a dakota after rain storms.

Last edited:
Ok, I've never delt with ceramics, or slotted rotors. Can you see flash rusting on the rotors before use? Or does this happen even after just a 3 hour cool down cycle??

could just be a high coefficent of friction. It happens when you slightly depress the pedal? That side just locks right up, then releases immedietly when you release the pedal?

It will usually occur after a 12 hr. sit. I'll have to keep a log of the weather and if it has anything to do with the lock up. We have been getting hammered with God awful amounts of rain here. It does release right away. It sounds pretty awful especially if the pavement is wet and in a parking lot. Gets a lot of stares.....

Back