• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle question ??

1SYCRYD

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Cherokee Sport that I just lifted 4.5" using full leaf packs. The kit had a 1" t-case drop and the springs have a built in 4 degree shim..

OK, I had a vibration with the stock Driveshaft and installed a Advance Adapters SYE and a Tom Woods Driveshaft the vibration was gone.

Now I removed the 1" T-Case drop and now have a Driveline droan at about 55mph and higher that was not there before. The instructions say the Pinion needs to be pointed at the T-Case output Shaft. Well It's still pointing lower then that after T-Case drop removal..

Question is I know I have to shim the pinion angle but there are multiple sizes available.. Counting the 4 degree shim that is built into the spring (RC 4.5 Springs) what on average do you guys use when you shim your pinion angles.. I was thinking of buying 6 degree shims but I am not sure..

What do you all suggest?

First would be to get an angle finder and measure the actual angles.Also know that a 2* shim will cause about a 3* net change in angles

I have a 97 Cherokee Sport that I just lifted 4.5" using full leaf packs. The kit had a 1" t-case drop and the springs have a built in 4 degree shim..

OK, I had a vibration with the stock Driveshaft and installed a Advance Adapters SYE and a Tom Woods Driveshaft the vibration was gone.

Now I removed the 1" T-Case drop and now have a Driveline droan at about 55mph and higher that was not there before. The instructions say the Pinion needs to be pointed at the T-Case output Shaft. Well It's still pointing lower then that after T-Case drop removal..

Question is I know I have to shim the pinion angle but there are multiple sizes available.. Counting the 4 degree shim that is built into the spring (RC 4.5 Springs) what on average do you guys use when you shim your pinion angles.. I was thinking of buying 6 degree shims but I am not sure..

What do you all suggest?

Visit HF before they close for the weekend, buy a $5 angle finder and take the guessing out of the equation.
Same as you I lifted a 99 with 4.5 full leafs ( no anlge built into the leaf springs), no T-case drop and a SYE/custom length driveshaft and ended using a 8.5 degree shim (machined by myself). 1 degree lower than the T-case output.
while seems an excesive angle but actually resulted in a smooth as stock driving.

Back