• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got some play in the slip yoke, bad thing?

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
I just discovered i have a little bit of play in the rear driveshaft, between the driveshaft and the t-case shaft it seems.

I'm thinking there shouldn't be play here and that it would cause vibrations.. am i right?
If so, would i just need to replace the driveshaft part?
Where else could that play come from, i have no t-case noise?

I just discovered i have a little bit of play in the rear driveshaft, between the driveshaft and the t-case shaft it seems.
Not sure what kind of play you are referring to. The stock rear driveshaft is fixed length, so when the axle cycles the whole driveshaft moves in and out of the transfercase--hence the name "slip yoke", the yoke "slips" on the output shaft to let the axle move.

The slip yoke should not rattle around on the output shaft, if that's what you mean (it should be a snug fit but not so tight that it cannot be installed). I'm not sure how much would be enough to cause vibrations

It's like the backlash in a gear set up. There needs to be some there for lubrication, the back and forth movement on the splines and heat build up (expansion of the shaft.) When I was playing with mine there seemed to be a lot of play depending where you grabbed it from but didn't have any vibes. With the amount of grease they put in at the factory, you would have to run it a few hundred thousand miles to get noticeable wear. Do you have any vibe problems or just making sure?

Back