• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bruised Xj

BruisedXj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i was hit right on the front corner of my driver side fender/ bumper. both front frame rails are bent, front core support gone, headlight header panel, toast. basically it needs a whole new front cap, from the doors forward, and the frame rails need to be bent back straight, first, is it salvageable, would it be worth doing, or should i just pull my trusty I6 4.0 and Aw4 and put them in my ranger and drive it around?

It's up to you, i was in a similar situation, and i bought a junked cherokee, sold the engine and tranny out of it, as well as parted out all the rest of it. Then we cut the front end off both vehicles, and welded it back onto my heep. Good as new

just get new shell and slap all your shit on it. once the frame is bent youre done especially on a unibody. just my 2 cents

thats what i figured, problem is in my town all the good jeeps sit at pick n pull, and once there, they wont sell whole vehicals, plus im minus a torch and other needed equipment, pulling the engine isnt an issue, i guess ill just have to sell my trusted, and much loved Xj for parts, because i cant ressurrect her

well the engine bay is about the same dimensions, (99 ranger, xtendedcab), and it wouldnt be hard to change full motor tranny and wiring harness from one to the other, have to modify core support for radiator, but in all reality im really gonna end up parting the jeep, its more work than i have the ability to do, took a good look today the tranny tunnel is kinked so the frame is shot but just about everything else is good parts, i drove it home from the accident, it doesnt pull, still drives straight, but i just cant fix my truck, i love my jeep but her heart is going to have to power someone else's dream

You might be giving up to soon. Have you gotten any estimates for straightening? Get an estimate from a couple body shops about re-aligning the nose after you pull all the mangled sheet metal. As the mounting points for the front suspension are so far back on an XJ, all they have to do is get the frame horns and inner fender back in basic position. Everything that bolts to it is adjustable

I know it's kind of against everything we stand for, but some jobs just have to be farmed out. You don't go and buy a line hone and cylinder boring machine just because you're doing an engine rebuild, right? Well, you're not going to buy a frame machine either.
As bails85 pointed out, unit bodies can be bent and un-repairable: any hit from the front or rear that warps the roof for example, but a twist, or a bent/warped uni-rail is pretty easy to do

its true i can get a few quotes, the only real problem is, i cant install my radiator, and my power steering box is currently sitting right where my lower radiator hose connects to the water pump, and i dont have a trailer and i cant afford the tow, im probably gonna get another Xj and build it up, if i cant sell or part my current Xj, then ill just save the drive train in case i need it

Last edited:
pick n pull yard wont usually sell the whole vehicle but if you talk to a manager they will sell you the shell or the body. as long as its not a cash for clunkers vehicle. or tbburg might be on to something. but any time i have ever wrecked a car and bent the frame it was never the same. its a toss up. i bent the frame on my yota and the frame straitening only costed me 200 bucks.

if i could figure out how to post a picture i would show you guys the severity of what im looking at, i might could get the frame straightened, and drop a new shell on, and then add frame strengtheners, but i have a 2 and a half month old, and i make about a grand a month, (wifes income not included) i think i might be better of gettin a new project and scrapping my current wreck so to speak

Back