• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HS kid with an H.O

SmallFry23

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
So ive got a 91' 4.0/Ax15 d30 OX, 8.25 lockrite with some 33 Km2 sneakers. Im looking at starting to build some new axles and my plan is a Ford 8.8 4.88s detroit and chroms but then then front is where i have some debating going on. I have the d30 with the ox already and dont want too just sell it but trying to beef it up to be able to survive a HS kid with a hard foot and 35s. Ive been looking at a set of RVC shafts from www.rcvperformance.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=59&products_id=101. My debate is on Would is be better to run thoes with the super 30 kit compared to the time and money required to build a d44 for the front?

Thanks a lot in advance
P.S. - sorry for no pictures, gettin a new camera soon!

What kind of budget are you working with? I know I was broke throughout HS.

Do alloys front and rear and a detroit for the rear along with a ruffstuff diff cover and you will have a damn stout set of axles for less than the cost of building a 44. A truss up front would be icing on the cake.

Do alloys front and rear and a detroit for the rear along with a ruffstuff diff cover and you will have a damn stout set of axles for less than the cost of building a 44. A truss up front would be icing on the cake.

x2 everyone bashes the 30 but the hp30 is actually a stout axle. a truss and alloys will work for 35s no problem. you can actaully beef the 30 up quite a bit with the budget youre working on.

But then the down side is how deep i can gear with the d30. 4.88 is the deepest available for a d30, compared to a d44 where they are capable of 5.13s which would be premium with 35s. And with the deeper gear the easier chance of breaking. So would i be blowing out R&Ps often?

You will be just fine with the 4.88's. That's what I am running in my '92 with 35's and on the highway, I sometimes reach for a 6th gear....

Building a HPdana30 with alloys and a lock will infact make your weak point the Ring&pinion, better off building a HP44 for the front with 35's or bigger.

the ox is a full case locker with a diff cover that rivals the riddle in thickness. adding a simple truss along with these features would help prevent housing deflection and increase the life of the R&P.

there is also the option of having them chrycoed.

personally. id stick with stock shafts and learn to wheel smart. shafts/U-joints are a lot cheaper and easier to replace on the trail than gears. i was impressed with what john Ds did on stock shafts and 35s. he was also packing a 5.3L.
41327_112783812109377_100001332774399_80908_2721852_n.jpg

the ox is a full case locker with a diff cover that rivals the riddle in thickness. adding a simple truss along with these features would help prevent housing deflection and increase the life of the R&P.

there is also the option of having them chrycoed.

personally. id stick with stock shafts and learn to wheel smart. shafts/U-joints are a lot cheaper and easier to replace on the trail than gears. i was impressed with what john Ds did on stock shafts and 35s. he was also packing a 5.3L.
41327_112783812109377_100001332774399_80908_2721852_n.jpg

x2 ! how far do you plan on going with your jeep ? I know myself once you start building it never end's. So you might won't to look for a set of a 60's it will save you a lot of time and money in the end. my .02 :dunno: :compwork: :badpc: :yelclap:

is there a carrier break for the OX? how about using thicker gears? Im trying to save this 30 because of the OX i put in it, but now my plans involve 35 claws and a 4.6 stroker so i need something that will hold up.

what gears do you have now? i thought the OX was 3.73 and up. your stroker will be far subservient to John's 5.3L V8. and like i said, stock shafts on 35s. that isnt to say he was worry free all the time.

also... have a little faith in the 30. you hear horror stories of people busting their 35 all the time, not their front D30.

I love my 4.88 with my ax15 run right around 3K on highway running around 65 or so

But then the down side is how deep i can gear with the d30. 4.88 is the deepest available for a d30, compared to a d44 where they are capable of 5.13s which would be premium with 35s. And with the deeper gear the easier chance of breaking. So would i be blowing out R&Ps often?

Only two pinion teeth in contact with the ring gear with 4.88/D30, as opposed to 3 teeth in contact for 4.56 and below.

Run junkyard shafts, and have tools, spares, and practice to change them quickly

Popping teeth off your ring gear is no fun

Run junkyard shafts, and have tools, spares, and practice to change them quickly

x2

I picked up an inner and outer with a 297 and the unit bearing still attached for $30 at the junkyard. Hell, just pulling spare parts at the junkyard is practice for a trail repair, and you'll know what tools you need, and which ones you don't.

Back