• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrade inst panel?

Cherokee Dan

NAXJA Forum User
My son's 99 XJ has the minimalist instrument cluster. No tach(aftermarket sun tach installed)oil pres,Water temp etc. I would like to update this to the more complete inst. cluster and get rid of the warning/iddiot lights. Has anyone done this or does anybody know if the sending units will hook up to the new cluster and opperate the guages correctly? Am i just better off getting aftermarket oil pressure and coolant temp guages?

TIA

Cherokee Dan

I figured it was plug n play... so I searched and found this thread

http://naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1006102&highlight=replace+idiot+lights

with these quotes...

A 98 does not require new senders. It is plug-n-play.

its really easy. im waiting for my new cluster to arrive in the mail. its all pretty straight forward. remove the panel right under the steering wheel, remove the metal panel below that, remove the bezel around the cd player and heater gauges, and then you should be able to pull the old cluster out and pop the new one in. Be SURE to get a cluster from a 98 or newer because if you get a 97 you will get some funky light flashing action. also to remove the headlight nob their should be a small blue button down by the right side under the dash, press it and the knob will slide right off! and the best part is that its mainly all done with a Phillips head screwdriver!!!!! check ebay for clusters they go for 30-90 bucks. A cluster out of a TJ will work as well

WARNING! The 97-01 clusters are not exactly the same. From what I experience and have heard, there are some slight differences between 00-01 and 97-99 clusters. If you have a 97-99 XJ, then you should try to use a cluster from the same years. If you have a 00-01 XJ, then you'll want a cluster from those years.

I have a 97 cluster (from police package 'certified'...120mph speedo vs. just 100mph) in my '00...it was plug and play...all of the gauges work and most of the idiot lights work...BUT I lost my 'rear hatch ajar' warning light and my 'low washer fluid' warning light doesn't seem to work right either. But these are minor issues compared to having tach and the rest of the instrumentation.

Also, I've heard that if you have a 242 t-case and you put in a cluster from an XJ with a 231 t-case, you'll need to make sure that 'full time' light bulb is present and working.

As for reprogramming the mileage...I had it done (when I was living in Cali) by Kris's Mobile Speedo Service. The guy had the mileage reprogrammed within a day and cost $120 at the time...about 3 years ago. Not sure if he is still in business, but his contact info at the time was [email protected].

Or you can find other 3rd party places that do it on google.

Many years ago... (12 to be exact) I swapped a '97 cluster into my '98 and had the same problems with the "Low Washer Fluid" indicator staying illuminated...
This is caused by a factory change in the BUS connector ground locations... (compared '97 & 98 FSM electrical pin wiring).
Purchased a '00 instrument cluster and installed in my'98 and all the indicators and meters have worked as they are supposed to...
As far as I know the '00 instrument cluster should be a P&P.

Both the engine computer and the instrument cluster retain vehicle mileage and when swapping the cluster from another vehicle; the mileage will remain different between the new and old clusters.
You can either have the mileage on the new cluster calibrated (at a local speedometer shop) to the engine computer or find one that is very close as I did.
After searching locally I decided that $250-350 was just not worth it. I can live with 1800 mile difference.

Back