• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me with front axle choice

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
With the latest breakdown it's time to upgrade the front axle.

Advice from this forum has always been helpful and now it's time for all you XJ xperts to help.

I have a 1990 Cherokee with the following drive train modifications.

1. 4.6 Golen Stroker 290 HP, 300 lbs torque.

2. Stock auto transmission

3. Klune V "David" 4:1 crawl box.

4. Upgraded, modified 231 Transfer case.

5. Rock Joc 60 rear axle.

6. Am running 35/12.50 BFG KM2's

7. 4.5" lift with modified wheel wells to fit tires.

8. ARB front & Rear with 4:88 gears

IMG_0029.jpg

I consider myself more of an explorer that doesn't want a rock challange to stop me than a dedicated rock crawler. This is not a daily driver, but I still want to be able to cruise at freeway speeds. I still have the a/c and cruise control working.

So there you have it. I do want the front axle to have disconnects so if I ever were to break a ring gear again I can just disconnect it and continue without a trail repair.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred
Explorer 1

Depending on your diving style I would say a chromo'd 44 would be sufficient for 35s seeing that you have a nice stroker and crawl box. If you plan on going 37+, just go straight to a Dana 60 and save yourself some time and money.

Based on the budget and quality of the upgrades you've already done I would go with a Tru Hi 9 or a HP 44 with JK R&P and 35 spline ARB. The front axle should match the rear's capabilities without too much weight. With the new JK front options and 35 spline shafts 37's on a 44 are very doable, a Tru Hi 9 is good for anything a 60 will do.

Based on the budget and quality of the upgrades you've already done I would go with a Tru Hi 9 or a HP 44 with JK R&P and 35 spline ARB. The front axle should match the rear's capabilities without too much weight. With the new JK front options and 35 spline shafts 37's on a 44 are very doable, a Tru Hi 9 is good for anything a 60 will do.

very well said. the hi 9 is bad ass. i would go with it over the 44.

I have a price for a Pro Rock 44 built to my specs, I'm meeting with Currie next week to price out a 9" Ford also to my specs. Will keep you posted.

Anyway you look at it even if I do a lot of the work it's not going to be cheap! :eek:

Looks like I'll have some quality parts from the Dana 30 HP to sell when I get done.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

I love Currie's stuff, but a Pro Rock 44 with 33's will be as strong (or at least close) as their nine inch High Pinion and I think cheaper. The Tru-Hi 9 is found here http://www.truehi9.com/ ... if you force their hand Currie will build you an axle with everything except the third member and you can add the TH9. More $$, but as strong as a 60... maybe stronger.

I have a price for a Pro Rock 44 built to my specs, I'm meeting with Currie next week to price out a 9" Ford also to my specs. Will keep you posted.

Anyway you look at it even if I do a lot of the work it's not going to be cheap! :eek:

Looks like I'll have some quality parts from the Dana 30 HP to sell when I get done.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:
Isn't the ProRock 44 low pinion?

No, I believe it's a DynaTrac axle with HP44 JK components. It's a solid choice for about $2,000 plus depending on carrier. Not 35 spline, but I believe the JK stuff is 33 spline. Nice axle.

Currie may have a similar Rockjock 44 setup.

The "Beast" has arrived.........

I decided to go with the stronger ring gear of the Ford 9".

The assemble was completed but the RCV axles are still on order. I decided to go ahead and pick up the assemble and start the install process.

The pumpkin looks so big I may need some additional modifications to make sure it doesn't hit anything.......we'll see.

IMG_0132-1.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Does the new front use the dana 30 outers or are you using something different?

With the added strength of the Currie 9" ring gear and the RCV axles, I'm passing on the disconnects.

I recently up graded my brakes to the Ford Sportstrac 4wd front brakes and wanted to retain them, so I'm using the outter Dana 30's.....never have had a problem here....we'll see.

The Dana 30 sure looks small once I took it out:

IMG_0137.jpg

So far so good with the installation.....will have to see if that big pumpkin fits and doesn't hit anything.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Too close for comfort???????

Cycled through the suspension and first I found the engine and trans skid plate will need some modifications:

IMG_0144-1.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Next will be a custom down pipe/collector on the header:

IMG_0141.jpg

Then comes the oil pan.....how close is too close????:dunno:

IMG_0150-1.jpg

IMG_0149-1.jpg

IMG_0148-1.jpg

Still deciding on the oil pan......(I think I'd have more fun driving if knew there was more space!!)

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Back