• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar Axle Mount Wallowed Out

Fastdemise

NAXJA Forum User
I've already drilled out the hole to 1/2" and now its wallowed out after I redrilled to the larger 1/2" bolt size. What kinda fixes can be done to strengthen the mount? I've seen a grade 8 washer welded over the hole. Vehicle is my DD so I wont do any 'trails fixes' if you know what I mean. Im using stock style steering with trackbar mounted in stock location.

I want it fixed as its dancing around death wobble right now.

To avoid this happening again in the future, replace the steel bushing inside the nylon bushing with one that does not have a seam. The stock type of steel insert cannot take the required torque to keep the track bar bolt tight. A bushing with out a seam is much stronger.

i had this problem, i drilled my track bar and axle side mount out. and it wallowed out again. put a washer on the outside under the bolt head, tighten things up, weld the washer. it wont go anywhere.

FWIW, my track bar is a RE bar, the steel insert in the bushing did/does not have a seam.

G.P XJ
Thanks for the link

jeeperjohn
I have the IronMan4x4 Extreme Duty Trackbar with the bushing already drilled out to 1/2" but it's not something to overlook in stock sleeves. :)

VAhasnoWAVES
Sounds like my best bet right now as I have no access to steel plates.

Good tips in here. Another option is to shorten the track bar and drill a new hole in the bracket (as is advised for some lifts when retaining the stock track bar). Not ideal, but an option.

If you're in the mood to rework your front link geometry, JKS also makes a weld-on track bar bracket you may want to look at (over-the-axle, so your track bar may be too long for this route).

Either way, torque the ever-loving piss out of that bolt once you get the hole situation worked out. I wallowed mine out a bit, but have been lucky in that tons of torque on that bolt has mitigated the issue (running an RE1600 for now)... I think my luck may be nearing an end though, as once in a blue moon I feel some unexpected axle movement, namely when turning while traversing an off-camber bump.

G.P XJ
Thanks for the link

jeeperjohn
I have the IronMan4x4 Extreme Duty Trackbar with the bushing already drilled out to 1/2" but it's not something to overlook in stock sleeves. :)

VAhasnoWAVES
Sounds like my best bet right now as I have no access to steel plates.
its not the best fix, id personally like to go with an over the axle mount. but the washer will last a hell of a lot longer than the stock mount.

Good tips in here. Another option is to shorten the track bar and drill a new hole in the bracket (as is advised for some lifts when retaining the stock track bar). Not ideal, but an option.

If you're in the mood to rework your front link geometry, JKS also makes a weld-on track bar bracket you may want to look at (over-the-axle, so your track bar may be too long for this route).

Either way, torque the ever-loving piss out of that bolt once you get the hole situation worked out. I wallowed mine out a bit, but have been lucky in that tons of torque on that bolt has mitigated the issue (running an RE1600 for now)... I think my luck may be nearing an end though, as once in a blue moon I feel some unexpected axle movement, namely when turning while traversing an off-camber bump.
dont do this...

torque it to spec. these specifications are there to set proper load on your bushings and maximize their lifetime.

Back