• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 pinion yoke install

wheelinscott

NAXJA Forum User
I broke mine a week ago and need to replace it this weekend, and I have a few questions. (jeep info in my sig) put new gears and everything in about a year ago.

I was wondering what else was needed to do this.

Do I need a new crush sleeve, and is it between the 2 pinion bearings?

And then to check the preload, I need to pull the tires off and turn the nut with a in/lb torque wrench to set the preload or did I read that wrong?

What else is needed or what do I need to do?

I searched and there wasn't a laid out way to do this.

TIA

The thing is if you do install another crush sleeve then you have to reset pinion bearing pre-load.

This is the exact reason why I built my 8.25 with shims instead of a crush sleeve. That way I can change a broken yoke on the trail without worries.

It takes about 200ftlbs to start crushing the sleeve but it can get too tight very quickly after the crush begins. Your best bet is to mark the nut in relation to the end of the pinion shaft and when you retighten the nut take it back to that exact location.

I recommend red locktight on the threads of the pinion nut

i have never had to do all that work on a yoke change or a seal change. just put a new one on and tighten it down. get a new pinon nut from the dealer.

when you change the yoke, the torque on the nut isnt as important as the preload, but it will still be a significant amount of torque. and to replace it, you do not need to remove any shims or anything, just the seal. remove driveshaft, remove yoke nut, remove yoke, remove seal, reinstall in reverse order.

when you change the yoke, the torque on the nut isnt as important as the preload, but it will still be a significant amount of torque. and to replace it, you do not need to remove any shims or anything, just the seal. remove driveshaft, remove yoke nut, remove yoke, remove seal, reinstall in reverse order.

So I don't need to mess with the crush sleeve, just get a new nut and seal and get the preload right? or did I misunderstand.

I usually don'y ask a ton of questions, but it seems like theres many different ways people have done this, and want to get it right since Im in school again and don't want a huge repair bill later on.

thanks for all the help guys!

right. i had to replace the yoke on my 8.25 and didnt have to pop the cover or anything. i did it the way i outlined, as per a shops instructions, and have had zero problems since.

Back