• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! 89 steering/abs problems??

nosyug

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj limited with abs. I just had a dana 44(non abs)put in rear with grizzly locker and 456 gears, in front I have a hp dana 30 that I had a spartan locker and 456 gears put in.

The problem is when I'm driving It wants to veer over to one side or the other by its self, when I try to steer it back and correct it, it takes a sec or two then will do it by its self, but my steering wheel is in the opposite direction(maybe 1/4 turn). So when it does correct its self I have to put it back to center again quikly to avoid swerving back and forth.

The guy that did the install suggested that the abs may need to be disconnected or swaped out to power brakes. He thinks that the abs system is causing this. I'm no mechanic. So I have no idea. I do know that it was very scary driving this thing home yesterday.

I've never had this problem before this install. What should I do?? Is this problem not even related to my abs?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks

It sounds a lot like your trackbar is worn, or that your frame side trackbar bracket is loose. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth fast while you lay under and look for worn components.

Don't just pull the abs fuses or relays, since you have the Bendix system that uses an electric pump to give power to the brakes. Do search on "bendix brakes" and look into swapping a '95-'96 XJ dual diaphragm booster with master or a WJ booster/master.

It sounds a lot like your trackbar is worn, or that your frame side trackbar bracket is loose. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth fast while you lay under and look for worn components.

Don't just pull the abs fuses or relays, since you have the Bendix system that uses an electric pump to give power to the brakes. Do search on "bendix brakes" and look into swapping a '95-'96 XJ dual diaphragm booster with master or a WJ booster/master.
Even though I've never had this problem before this install? Two days ago It drove fine. When my wife gets home I can have her help me

I'm not going to touch the brakes. Anybody in SoCal/Inland Empire know how to do that upgrade? And want to for me? Mechanic? I'd like to get that done, but don't know how and I'm not going to attempt it either. How much would that cost?

i doubt the ABS could cause problems that you are having. i would look into the trackbar like suggested and having an alignment done. also, driving with a locker will have an effect on the steering which will take getting used to.

Okay I just looked underneath while my wife rocked the steering wheel back and forth, and like I said I'm no mechanic but everything looked fine to me. I am mechanically challenged, so I may be looking at something worn out and not even know it. All the bushings look fine to me though.

The guy that did the install seems to think that it is the ABS, that maybe it's trying to engage(because of the lockers now) and thats whats pulling me to one side or the other. I think I don't know what it is. Any body know of any good and cheap(they don't have to be fast) shops in my area? Inland Empire/Socal? Specifically I'm in Rancho Cucamonga

does anyone think that the 242 might be the culprit? I was under the impression that the 242 and the 231 work a little differently in comparison. Is it possible that the front locker might be acting up with his 242 and making that front end pull? maybe engaging the locker or t-case causing it to pull? i would also like to find out what is causing this because i have never heard of this issue.

Take a quick vid of all the suspension and steering stuff while someone is racking and turning the wheel back and forth. Something is loose as the abs will not cause it to swerve side to side. I could be wrong as I have never really dealt with much abs stuff. To me it sounds like a track bar issue. Did you have both the front and rear gears done at the same time? If so......are the tie rod ends tight, lug nuts tight, drag link tight? Basically shake everything then shake it again. Nothing should feel loose in your hand. All the joints will move but should all be stiff to move by hand.

does anyone think that the 242 might be the culprit? I was under the impression that the 242 and the 231 work a little differently in comparison. Is it possible that the front locker might be acting up with his 242 and making that front end pull? maybe engaging the locker or t-case causing it to pull? i would also like to find out what is causing this because i have never heard of this issue.
not the tcase. my 242 gives no problems.

my guess is something along the lines of the trac bar like stated above. the actions and timing with axle work makes the most sense here

when you say the wheel is 1/4 turn then has to turn back. is that 1/4 turn free turning? as in no weight in it? or is it just as stiff as the rest of the turn? possible bad box?

OKAY, I just came back from a 4x4 shop I found close to home. They said everything underneath looks fine. I did however have two different types of tires on the back. They said thats the problem. Even though they were the same size(31x10.50x15), they are different manufacturers. One is a BFG AT the other is a Sumitomo AT. So I swapped one of 'em out, and now I have exactly the same tires on, with the same air pressure. And pretty much the same amount of tread. I bought them at the same time.

It seemed like it fixed the problem, for the most part. It did feel like it kinda wanted to do it still, but not nearly as severe. So I dunno. Well let me put it this way, it did do it, but it wasn't very noticable.

Thanks for everyones input.

The rear locker is going to pull you one way or the other depending on if you are accelerating or decelerating,thats something you'll need to get used to.It can be fairly severe at highway speeds.

Back