• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifted rear axle and clunking

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got new tires on my '00 Sport, 235/75-15 Grabber AT2s (no rub! yes!) and an alignment but on my drive home I noticed some issues. Before the Jeep would drive straight but the steering wheel was tilted to the right (ptiman arm issue I assumed). Now the Jeep pulls to the right and I have to hold the steering wheel to the left. Also, the rear passenger side tire is not centered in the wheel well. It is shifted about 1-1.5" rear of the vehicle. The driver's side is centered in the wheel well. Perhaps I found a previous problem from the former owner, or did the shop mess somthing up? With leaf springs, the axle should not shift, and I see nothing bent or out of place. I have not taken it over anything but some 6" of mud.
Part II is I sometimes get driveline "clunk" (not a sound, but felt in the jeep) when I accelerate from a stop. I'm thinking it's time for some new U-joints.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'd take it back to the shop and ask (then tell) them to fix it.

...or the centering pin was sheared off or dislodged. Like you said, could have been the PO

x2, make them align it right.

Check for a broken centering pin.

Grease the T-case slip yoke.

For the clunking, you might also take a look at the transmission mount. If it is worn it will contribute to clunking noises.

Thanks for the quick replies. I called and have an early morning appt with the owner of the shop before they open to check it out. And I'll swing by the parts store and get some grease for the slip yoke; That didn't even cross my mind. =)

Well, after putting the Jeep up on the lift, we can't find a thing wrong. The only measurement that is off would be the distance from the wheel well lip to the ground is 1/4"+ lower on the passenger side than the drivers side. Best we can assume is that the spring is sagging at the axle tube, and basically "pushing" the axle back a little. All alignments, measurements, and every blasted thing under there looks good. Guess I'll look into a full spring swap with that 3" lift a little sooner.....

I had an issue with my 98 whereby it would not only clunk when I stopped, you couls feel the heep move a bit. The stock (133,000+ miles) springs were in the usual S shape and I thought most likely that was the issue. I just put in the lift and with the replacement rear springs in place, clunk is gone.

My thought is that the axle wraps and causes the noise...

Back