• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switched to conventional oil leak??

Localgod11

NAXJA Forum User
So this seems backwards but.. I had my oil changed recently and had conventional oil put in. I came out to my truck in the morning and there is oil on the ground wtf?? It's never leaked before and it doesn't seem to be coming form anywhere in particular?

Now here's the weird part. I changed it again this time with synth and I still get a little but nowhere near the volume as before.

Isn't this backwards?

once you switch you shouldn't switch back so I've herd but don't know why

This was the first oil change since I got the truck and didnt know what had been run before. Went conv to save a few bucks and it ended up. Costing me double

I think the problem is more likely that you HAD your oil changed, meaning some moron that thinks more is better, overfilled your case. I never let a shop change my oil, and in the rare situation where it has happened, I pull the dipstick right there and check. Many horror stories from friends. Best one yet, mother gets care serviced only at jiffy screwed. I had to change the radiator because it cracked, it was full of windshield washer fluid.. Was it my mother? probably. Jiffy lube? maybe, we'll never know.

Old wives tale about switching oils causing leaks. Climb under the Jeep and take a peek. More than likely the drain plug gasket didn't get replaced or someone broke your oil sender getting the oil filter off. Could be as simple that the monkeys left the oil that puked from the filter removal on the frame and control arms and now it's dripping off. I change my own oil.

I don't think it was a spill. Everything on the passenger side had a nice sheen on it and still a week later drops are forming on the filter and the bottom of the pan.

Is there a fiche somewhere I can look at so I know what I am looking for? Instead if just the thing with oil coming out of it.

Take a pic of what is leaking oil. Post it up.

The oil sender is just to the left and above the oil filter with a wire going to it. Don't make this too complicated. You 're looking for a dark liquid leaking out of an engine. Simple.

Oil sender looks OK more investigation is needed.

Crap to check the filter for a double stack will have to spin it off which means another oil change :flamemad:

if you think switching oil from syn to conventional or vise versa is an old wives tale, try it in an air cooled VW motor, not to mention if you rely on oil to cool your motor in any way, syn is crap. not saying that syn is not better overall but it works wonders on seals that have been swelled up by dyno oil and resists heat soak far better then dyno oil, i know a jeep motor is not air cooled. but in the case of my old VW i was running just over 10° hotter per cyl with syn oil on my turbo motor(4 cyl head temp gauges and oil/pyrometer + intake air temp)....i switched to syn to combat the heat of the turbo...caused all sorts of problems..switched back the pen GT50 dyno oil and all was well (altho i thought "well" could be better with syn the first time around)..if you need oil to cool things and have a decent cooler. dyno works better from my experience.. and if you have run dyno from the start..staying dyno works better from my experience..

syn oil is great but i have yet to run it in my tractor 4.0 and i personally wont run it in my "old" 4.0L

not try to start a debate, but from my experience, its not a tale
my sump cover and valve cover gaskets leaked like a sive with syn oil

Last edited:
I would also check for a double gasket or even a loose filter. Most quick lubes will leave a filter a little loose in order to make it easier to take off next time. I would also stay away from quick lubes in general. If you have someone else change your oil, go to a real shop. They're not trying to do it in ten minutes so they are more thorough and better trained; and being more thorough they try to sell more stuff, but you can always decline that.

Spinning the filter off doesn't drain all the oil! You need to find the source of the leak, clean the rig up good and then see what you can find.

Oil sender looks OK more investigation is needed.

Crap to check the filter for a double stack will have to spin it off which means another oil change :flamemad:

Not at all. You'll only lose half a quart or so.

Run your hand on the bottom of the filter, if you see oil there I would suspect possible double stacked gaskets, or more so, the o-rings in the oil filter adapter are worn out (common problem).

If you really want to get an idea of where it's coming from, spray that side of the motor down with degreaser real good then wash it off and drive it around the block a couple of times. You should be able to get a good idea of what area the leak is coming from, which will help you narrow it down. Right now it could be anything from the above mentioned o-rings, a double stacked oil filter gasket, the distributor "gasket" (flimsy little POS gasket), or the sender unit. I've even seen valve cover gasket leaks on these motors run down the passenger side of the engine instead of the rear.

am i understanding this right? you saying that some shop has left the old oil filter gasket in place and installed a new filter and gasket on top of the old gasket? that actually happens??? christ i would loose it

am i understanding this right? you saying that some shop has left the old oil filter gasket in place and installed a new filter and gasket on top of the old gasket? that actually happens??? christ i would loose it

Quite easy to make that mistake if you're in a hurry, matter of fact i've done it myself once. You'll figure it out pretty quickly though and never make that mistake again!

Back