• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Residue in intake

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
To an extent, oily residue in the intake is normal. It's caused by the PCV that is routed into the air intake. This is the same stuff that you may notice dirtying up the air filter. It probably doesn't matter too much if you clean it or not, but I always clean intakes when I pull them. Might just be a little OCD, but I like to clean things while I have them apart. A degreaser should work fine, just try to find something not caustic to aluminum. It's does not have to be really strong to clean that up - also use a brush to help remove it.

To an extent, oily residue in the intake is normal. It's caused by the PCV that is routed into the air intake. This is the same stuff that you may notice dirtying up the air filter. It probably doesn't matter too much if you clean it or not, but I always clean intakes when I pull them. Might just be a little OCD, but I like to clean things while I have them apart. A degreaser should work fine, just try to find something not caustic to aluminum. It's does not have to be really strong to clean that up - also use a brush to help remove it.

I think he is talking about the intake and exhaust ports on the head, not the intake itself.

Did you look at the pics. ?

Well the valve stems look clean,no build up on the back side of the head.I would just wipe the intake ports out with a rag soaked with some carb cleaner and call it good.

I would just wipe the intake ports out with a rag soaked with some carb cleaner and call it good.

Thanks,

This is exactly what I did.

Andrey

Back