• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar Link problem

gregruot7

NAXJA Forum User
I just got finished with my 3" lift on the front and ran into this little problem.

f0pxeb.jpg

The bolt up top is hitting the body.....

I'm guessing that either it isn't the right sway bar link or I rigged it up wrong, I used home depot bolts for the top...

Would it fall down lower and rub if I got a shorter bolt up top or is it just because the link is straight and doesn't have the curve like the stock links....
:doh:

should I just cut an inch out of it and weld it back together? I don't know how long these things should be.....

Definitely too long.

Since your new link has bushings in it already, you don't need the factory bushings any longer. So, you could start by getting rid of the bushings on top of the adapter bracket.
Then, cut down the length of the bolt going through the bracket and sway bar, and you might not have to cut the link.

acording to JKS quick disconects' instructions: ideal swaybar angle should be 15 degrees above horizontal
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/install_qrd_pn2000_2001_2002.pdf

I cut down some links I got from a bone yard and welded them back together. I had the XJ sitting at ride height and the sway bar end where the link connect about parallel with the frame rail then cut the link/s to fit. I did not know about the 15 degree rule. That is good info.

Go over the top of the sway bar with the u-strap if there is room.

I got rid of the bushings up top and got a shorter bolt like a few of you suggested....

2960lrm.jpg

It clears while sitting on the ground now! But It still clunks while going over bumps and it's rediculous, I'm going to cut it shorter and weld it back I guess, that's all I really can do! Thanks and if you have any other suggestions feel free to tell me them :)

On the JKS links the swaybar goes inside the u shape on the upper bracket and not on top of it like you have. Would it fit inside?

I wish, there is only enough room for the bolt, I took those brackets off of an old steering stabilizer lol!

I know a lot of us, including me, like to fab our stuff, but if this shiny new stuff IS in fact new, why not simply call and get the correct replacement?

Back