• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing harmonic balancer/crankpulley

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
alright im slowly getting closer to replacing my cam i just ran into something that may be a possible problem. the motor is set to TDC so when i got to remove the crank pulley with a ratchet it would obviously just turn. next thing would be an impact gun? but is that going to get it loose without turning the motor?

i already have everything off and the head off so putting the belt back on to hold the pulley wont happen. with an impact gun it may not be a problem but i didnt get to trying to do it because it got to dark.

just would like to get an idea of what to do so i can get it done faster tomorrow.

Thanks.

ive put a pair of vice grips on one of the crank counterweights, ive also put in as peice of wood 2x3. just use your head, and watch out for piston skirts!

Block of wood wedged against a crank counterweight?

Vice-grips on a harmonic damper hub spoke?

I usually wedge a bar or a big-ass screwdriver between the harmonic damper spokes and a projection on the front of the block, it's quick and easy.

TDC can be re-established PRN, it's not difficult.

Don't forget - do not use a jaw puller on the HD! If you do'nt have access to a harmonic damper puller, a medium crowfoot puller will serve, I think the screws you need are 5/16"-18, about 2-1/2" to 3" long.

i jammed a 4x4 block of wood between the crank and the inside walls, hit it with an impact gun then used the right tool to pull it off.

i figured some kind of wedging/jamming of the pulley would have to happen thanks! and i need a puller to get the HB off?

Correct - a crowfoot or something similar. A jaw puller will just pull the outer ring off.

There are three threaded holes (one in each spoke of the hub) that will accept a screw, then you pull it off by the hub.

if the engine is still in your jeep i have found a cool way to do it... I recently replaced mine by removing the starter, then using the biggest socket i could i fit it in so it would engage the teeth on the flywheel. Then I just used a torque wrench and the bolt broke free with about 150ft/lbs of pressure. And i left the socket in place so when i reinstalled it i could apply the proper torque for installation.

Ive done it a few ways. Rope down a cylinder to jam the piston when its at TDC (valves closed). I.e. Go past TDC on compression stroke, insert rope, back up engine until it stops. I have also put a breaker bar on the bolt and rested it against the steering box... then bumped the starter. I really don't recommend that method though, I was just lazy that day.

Er...I went the high tech method...I just jammed a screwdriver in there. Not hard to break loose, orig. torque to 80 fp. Then just use the crow foot tool...ba da bing!!

I have a strap wrench but didn't need it.

i got it off by putting the harmonic balancer puller on the weding a pipe in there and while i broke the bolt free my buddy held the pipe worked great! thanks for all the suggestions!

Back