• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear disc brake conversion

new hampshire xj

NAXJA Forum User
I put a ford 8.8 in the rear of my 92 xj out of a 97 ford explorer just wondering if i have to change any thing with the disc brakes for the pressure difference

How does it work for you? Does the rear spin forward under braking load?

no it works really well. I used to have a dana 35 welded, definatly like the LSD better only problem is i cant getr pressure to the rear. I think it is because of the disc brakes

you may need to upgrade the booster and master cyl. the older ones are kinda meh even for stock brakes, and welcome to naxja im also from keene, peep out the North Atlantic Chapter for things goin on this summer

dont a lot f the early model guys like to upgrade to a late model booster and/or master cylinder? or pull the proportioning valve from a grand?

im just thinking out loud from what ive read. i have little/no knowledge on the subject. lol.

no it works great. Definatly like the LSD better than welded 8.25. Just having a problem with the brake pressure not sure if it has something to do with the proportioning valve

I adapted 8.8 discs onto my D44 and I swapped the guts from the Grand's prop valve into my XJ's.....made a noticeable difference over just running the stock valve.
The piston and spring swap over easily ;)----------Hans

I would upgrade to the newer style M/C and booster and combo valve. And don't mod the combo valve unless you've upgraded the fronts to dual-piston. I've found the stock valve works best. The ZJ disc spring allows to much to the rear and the rear will lock up quite a bit before the front, even if you can get the front to lock at all. It can be scary shlt.

It is a GREAT mod when you do the Vanco or ZJ front brake swap though.

Back