• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coilover hoop and snorkle issue

blackd-out-chev

NAXJA Forum User
88 cherokee with the 4.0, doint 3 link front, 60/14b, 4 link rear. I'm wanting to run coilovers up front. 14" travel that are 36 extended/22 collapsed. Going for 5" uptravel, 9" droop; so at ride hieght they will require appx 27" of space and I only want around 5-6" lift. No problem cut the coil tower out and make a hoop right. Problem being....I run a snorkle for when we get in the deep water and would like to keep that functional. I'm using a modified factory airbox currently and it is definitely in the way. Has anyone else run into this issue and how should I fix it? I've searched here and been searching the net for some other kind of air cleaner that I could use/modify to run my snorkle but I'm not finding anything that looks promising. Any ideas? Trying to find or possibly build a cannister satyle filter possibly.

Run it into the cowl area. You can just put a filter in there if the water doesn't tend to come over your hood, or you can put a 90 in there and run a pipe up through the cowl like a HMMWV snorkel. That's my eventual plan.

Straight cowl intake, no snorkel - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053241&highlight=cowl+snorkel

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1017120&highlight=cowl+snorkel

HMMWV style intake/stack - http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/opinion-snorkel-setup-needed-19854/

Last edited:
The cowl snorl?e may be a last resort. I do get in over the hood. But I was hoping to keep the side snorkle...kinda been the signature part of my jeep b4 this build.

14"s are LOOOOONG up front.... in the back you can mount them inside the rear part of the cab, up front your highest point is the hood, which you'll have to go thru.

The cherokeeforum snorkel allows you to extend it taller with a length of pipe. If you really want to keep the original snorkel, I'm sure there's a way to route some flex pipe around.

The actual plumbing part doesn't have me twisted up so much as the fil
PHP:
ter/cannister part...any recommendations? Pvc+cone filter+cofee can?

And yes...thru the hood they shall go! It be lookin sexay

Last edited:
Look up Ford air filters. In one of the linked threads, they pointed out Windstar and F150 air cleaners.

Well hopefully someone can find me a link! Every time I try searching the net I get fish tank filters, air compressor filters, ac condesor crap. All kinds of bs...

But! It looks like if I go a little aller on my lift I can run em without going thru the hood. With 6" coils I have 26" of room to the top of the fender basically. That would get me 4" uptravel 10" down.

Have you checked out Spectre's website. Besides the cowl kit they make, they have a fair amount of "builders" parts. The filter boxes themselves look nice.

Back