• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Flex-Joints worn

westvalleyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.5 RC X series kit that was put on about 900 miles ago. I have the adjustable upper and lower control arms with the flex joints. After about 200 miles I noticed a loud clunking sound in the floor boards. I did a check and the flex joints on the controls arms upper and lower were worn out on the drivers side. No big deal, called up RC and told them the issue and they sent me a rebuild kit for both sides upper and lower. Replaced just the drivers side and tada, no more clunking. After about 100 miles I start hearing it from the passenger side. Rebuilt passenger side and wouldn't you know, no more noise. All is fine for about 150 more miles and drivers side is making noise at the control arm again. Called up RC had another set shipped. Put the new set in and 200 miles or so the noise is back. I know its the bushings because when I put the new ones in the noise goes away. I pack these things with grease as I am assembling the joint and followed the directions to the letter. I am at a loss and want to upgrade to Johnny Joints but want to see if I am doing anything wrong before spending more money. Any input?

Seems to be an ongoing issue with their joints.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

I am at a loss and want to upgrade to Johnny Joints but want to see if I am doing anything wrong before spending more money. Any input?

This is what happens usually when dealing with inexpensive stuff, and is very true with RC joints.

My input is to scrap the whole lift for a new one, but cutting off the ends and welding in some Currie joints will fix the joint problem for sure.

I have the same problem with my 4 inch x series long arm TJ kit. hasnt been on long and joints wont stay tight and wont hold grease. The long arm upgrade I have on my XJ has absolutely no problems with joints and its been on for over a year now. Maybe its the new joints?

My input is to scrap the whole lift for a new one, but cutting off the ends and welding in some Currie joints will fix the joint problem for sure.
Lucky for me I talked to a rep at Currie and they have a direct replacement that will screw right into RC's control arm.

Lucky for me I talked to a rep at Currie and they have a direct replacement that will screw right into RC's control arm.

Thats much smarter than scrapping an entire lift. Don't mind the arm chair mechanics. RC would have warrantied it anyway I believe. A friend of mine had his wear out after we went on a couple wheeling trips. I had the same lift but he was going through more mud than me(I prefer rocks and dirt) and when he called RC they shipped him a new set.

I am speaking from personel experience. I purchased a 4.5 x series right before winter around 6 months ago. I wheeled my xj with 35 inch km2's about 5 times since install of the kit. I noticed a clunk sound when I was backing out of the garage 2 weeks ago. After further inspection I found that my flex joints were shot and my pinion was rocking. This really sucked for me because I just installed a hd front drive shaft. I called RC and they informed me that they are now using a different flex joint and they are certain that I received the older deffective version with my lift. I do agree that they should never give out a product that will fail so quick but there customer service sent me out 4 new flex joints that I will install tonight. I will report how they hold up. A bunch of us are going wheeling sunday!!! I am not giving up on RC quite yet. My jeep handles about anything I point it at! One thing I do recommend is to replace the RC kit shocks asap! I am running a set of OME long travels designed for the LJ and they are supper smooth!

I had a thread about RC joints a week or two ago. I got their long arms and on the 5th set of replacement joints. The bushings they use just aren't the right mix and design. Despite getting replacement joints and spares (ALOT of them) from RC, I am swapping em out. I don't want to keep wrenching on it every few weeks/months.

What I think is the problem is the size of the "cup" in the bushings and hardness of the material.

I had a thread about RC joints a week or two ago. I got their long arms and on the 5th set of replacement joints. The bushings they use just aren't the right mix and design. Despite getting replacement joints and spares (ALOT of them) from RC, I am swapping em out. I don't want to keep wrenching on it every few weeks/months.

What I think is the problem is the size of the "cup" in the bushings and hardness of the material.

Hey Mud,

I have the rough country long arm kit as well. If you find out what replacement bushings just screw into the RC long arms, could you send me a PM or post up? If currie or anyone makes some that just work I'm okay with that. It's good if RC is willing to do the customer service, but it would be better if they just designed a good product from the get go. The rest of the kit went in very well for me and I'm happy with it, but the flex joints are questionable.

Hey Mud,

I have the rough country long arm kit as well. If you find out what replacement bushings just screw into the RC long arms, could you send me a PM or post up? If currie or anyone makes some that just work I'm okay with that. It's good if RC is willing to do the customer service, but it would be better if they just designed a good product from the get go. The rest of the kit went in very well for me and I'm happy with it, but the flex joints are questionable.

Andy at IronMan4x4fab can take currie joints and modify em a little to fit in the RC crossmember. We just spoke so he has the measurements and info but if he doesn't, let me know and I'll forward the email to you. The price was good too.

I do have spare rebuildable joints if anyone needs some. I'm keeping the bushing kits though.

Andy at IronMan4x4fab can take currie joints and modify em a little to fit in the RC crossmember. We just spoke so he has the measurements and info but if he doesn't, let me know and I'll forward the email to you. The price was good too.

I do have spare rebuildable joints if anyone needs some. I'm keeping the bushing kits though.

Actually here are the ends you need , uppers and lowers.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product569.aspx?id=2961
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product569.aspx?id=2629
Got the specs from RC then called currie and confirmed with a rep. Direct fit.

Actually here are the ends you need , uppers and lowers.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product569.aspx?id=2961
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product569.aspx?id=2629
Got the specs from RC then called currie and confirmed with a rep. Direct fit.

Did they just add those? I spoke with Currie about it and they were unable to give me the proper sized joint and I searched their site and did not find any that were compatable. Why is it listed under "CJ Axle parts" ?

Strange but hey thanks for the links! Easy ordering. ;)

The uppers were just added. The lowers have been available for awhile. They just happen to be the correct diameter and thread pitch, as it seems to be a common size to make. Again I confirmed sizes with RC and Currie with a real live person. I would call to confirm if you want to double check.

The uppers were just added. The lowers have been available for awhile. They just happen to be the correct diameter and thread pitch, as it seems to be a common size to make. Again I confirmed sizes with RC and Currie with a real live person. I would call to confirm if you want to double check.

Oh no, I'm pretty sure those are correct.

These are the measurements I came up with for the RC joints:

Lowers: 1-1/4 x 12 with 2-9/16 width and uses 9/16 bolt

Uppers: 3/4 x 16 with 2" width and uses stock 10mm bolts.

Thanks a bunch for bringing that up. Do you know if those same joints are used on the RC short arms as well?

So are we saying RC uses the same joints for both the short arm kit + long arm? I would think the long arm kit would use different joints on the lower arm at least b/c they look huge.

I wonder if there is a way to complain to RC to get some $ back or the like. We're talking nearly $200 for some joints.

Oh no, I'm pretty sure those are correct.

These are the measurements I came up with for the RC joints:

Lowers: 1-1/4 x 12 with 2-9/16 width and uses 9/16 bolt

Uppers: 3/4 x 16 with 2" width and uses stock 10mm bolts.

Thanks a bunch for bringing that up. Do you know if those same joints are used on the RC short arms as well?
These are the measurements for the short arms, since this is what I have. I assume they will work on the long arms as well just might be different sizes which I bet Currie might have.

I wonder if there is a way to complain to RC to get some $ back or the like. We're talking nearly $200 for some joints.

Money back on what? You bought probably the lowest cost kit on the market and now complain it doesn't last?

Just buy some Currie joints. Their more betterest. :)

These are the measurements for the short arms, since this is what I have. I assume they will work on the long arms as well just might be different sizes which I bet Currie might have.

I got those measurements from my long arm joints so if they are the same as your short arms then......they must be the same lol.

Currie's gettin more business thanks to RC.

Well speak of the devil. I drove my rig to work today and on the way home that annoying popping noise came back. It got so bad that I pulled over and rocked the rig and noticed the passenger lower joint was moving back and forth about 1/8 of an inch. Here we go again.......joint replacement #6.

Am I lucky or what? This is a record of just two weeks.....

Back