• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I don't want a spare tire!!!

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody wheel in the rocks without one? What tire do you trust enough to get you home? I am thinking either Maxxis Creepy crawlers or Pitbull Rockers.

Carry tire plug kit and onboard air (either a CO2 tank or a compressor), run whatever tire you like. :)

The rocks around here tend to put a 3 inch gash in the sidewall. Pretty hard to plug that.

even with "Kevlar sidewalls" i still have a 35" spare.. i have NEVER needed a spare, but murphys law always kicks my ass

If nothing else, take a tube along. I stitched up a sidewall with safety wire and then stuffed a large patch over it, then inserted a tube to get a guy off the trail a couple of years ago.

If you want to run radial tires I suggest that you carry a spare...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

When I was running radials I cut about three tires a year but after I switched to a bias ply I haven't cut a single tire since. I no longer carry a spare and only bring a spare wheel and tire(separate) on longer trips.
Bias plys are however, terrable on the road. I would not suggest running them if you plan to drive your Jeep long distances.

I know you can patch and fix a tire but I don't want to be the ahole on the trail holding every body up or blocking the trail for an hour while I try to fix a tire.

I know you can patch and fix a tire but I don't want to be the ahole on the trail holding every body up or blocking the trail for an hour while I try to fix a tire.

What, you can't drive on a flat tire?
I never would never be that "ahole" to block the trail while changing a tire.

I have needed a spare 3 times on the trail...
I sheared a valve stem once
I ran a one inch stick through one
I cut one on a rock

Carry one.

What, you can't drive on a flat tire?
I never would never be that "ahole" to block the trail while changing a tire.

Around here we have a lot of rocky trails that are narrow and could not be run on a flat and if you tried the rim and tire would be ruined in very short order. You have to fix it where it sits, hence the trail blockage.

Around here we have a lot of rocky trails that are narrow and could not be run on a flat and if you tried the rim and tire would be ruined in very short order. You have to fix it where it sits, hence the trail blockage.

What trails would those be?

I agree. You'd have to drive several miles on some trails to get to a safe passing area.

Either way... If your serious about being safe out there (especially if you go alone) carry a spare.

For general wheeling, a plug kit/wire/tube/etc and compressor is ok, but specifically in rocks? Carry a spare. I don't do rocks much(never been in my jeep) But the few times I've gone,(ride along with others) somebody's got a flat every time. If you're good and careful, you probably won't have a tire eaten. On the other hand, if you're in-experienced, tend toward the "stupid/careless" side of the dial when presented with a go-pedal, or just plain unlucky, you will need a 5th tire.

Back