• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minimum Caster on 2001 XJ in relation to Pinion Angle

z06elmo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

I've read a lot and searched a lot on this but was curious what the happy medium you all found was. I have a 2001 Manual XJ, 6" lift with Rough Country Long Arms and other mixed parts that I just installed. Also have the low pinion Dana 30 running on 33" tires

I can adjust my lower or upper arms to get the right caster or pinion angle.

At current my rear pinion angle is about perfect with 1-2* pointed down. My front pinion is pointed straight at the T-Case and I have 1.5* of caster. I've only driven the car around the block and it seems 'ok'. I'm thinking I need a bit more caster.

What's the minimum YOU been able to run and at what lift?

Side-question - how long (miles/years) are the u-joints on the driveshafts good for?

I would want more caster than 1.5 degrees.

Front drive shaft angle will be the driver.

If the front pinion angle is the same as the shaft angle then I would adjust the front pinion down 1.5 to 2 degrees in order to pick up more caster and still have a decent angle for the forward u-joint.

Your call.

P.S. I keep a JY front drive shaft as a spare. $20 at a pick a part.

Last edited:
IIRC, Factory caster spec is between 7 and 9*.

I would set caster to factory spec and then adjust as needed to help correct the pinion angle. Pinion angle takes lead over Caster, however not enough caster and the front end wil act like the crazy wheels on the front of a shopping cart (when they slam side to side as you push the cart along).

At 6" of lift you gonna have a real hard time keeping good caster with a LP D30. http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm Set it to what is suggested here for LP axle and go from there. The happy medium is different from rig to rig. I would start looking for a HP D30. This will give you much more to work with as far as caster/pinion angle and you'll be happier down the road. Just my .02

guys,

thanks for the advice. I just followed the website and I've got my pinion angle measured with an angle finder to about 7*. My caster left and right is about +5.5*. Got the toe all adjusted. next step is to go for a test drive!

Danny

Back