• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing RCX drop brackets with Rusty's brand LCA's

Spawn 93

NAXJA Forum User
So I am in the middle of installing my drop brackets, and when I install the alignment shoe for the LCA, the LCA won't fit in the shoe..... What gives? Is it because of the Rusty's LCA? Alignment shoe bad?? Can I get new ones cheap ( alignment shoes)? Need a little help!

Really?? Ever take apart your LCA's? On the "frame" side, there is a little metal bracket that bolts into place in the pocket to align the LCA. Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to help!

If youre control arms are still attached to the axle, you may have better luck removing them. May just be an alignment thing. Should be a lot easier to wrestle the arms to the axle than to the unibody.

I know mine were tight and that was using matching RE brackets and RE arms. I had to put the alignment shoe about halfway into the drop bracket, the joint on my control arm about halfway into the alignment shoe, and then kind of force both of them in there as one unit. I think I used a rubber mallet to persuade them into position and then a large punch to do the final of the alignment of all the bolt holes.

I know mine were tight and that was using matching RE brackets and RE arms. I had to put the alignment shoe about halfway into the drop bracket, the joint on my control arm about halfway into the alignment shoe, and then kind of force both of them in there as one unit. I think I used a rubber mallet to persuade them into position and then a large punch to do the final of the alignment of all the bolt holes.

This is how I did it. I had a hell of a time trying to get mine in there.

Mine had to be persuaded.. Mine are RCX, I believe that I had to pry apart a little with a prybar while pushing the LCA in.

Ian: like I said, I wasn't trying to be a smartass with my response, I just never know who has what experience on these. The instructions with the db's called it a shoe....

To everyone who has responded, thanks first off!!
Second: is there somewhere to buy new alignment shoes if I eff one up?? Plus, I am glad to know I ain't the only one who had an issue with this!

i've been looking because i bent mine putting my lca in when i put my drop brackets in so i just took them out, made a liitle spacer to keep the lcas all the way in the front of the bracket and tacked the spacer in. kinda hard to understand probably from how i described it but it makes sense to me!

Broke one of the studs off the back of one of mine by overtightening it after I installed some shims. I bought another set from someone that was parting out an XJ. Don't know if you can still buy them new or not, but I'd imagine a Mopar parts dealer (either online or stealership) would be your best bet. Part number is 5200 0532 and the Mopar Parts Catalog refers to it not as an alignment shoe, but rather a "CLEVIS, Lower Suspension Arm, To Sill" in case anyone was curious. I think I called it a "u-shaped lower control arm alignment thingy" when I asked the guying doing the part out if he still had them. :D

How critical are the alignment shoes? I have Rokmen adjustable upper and lower control arms. Just put those in, along with RCX drop brackets. The alignment shoes didn't exist when I took it apart.

They haven't loosened in about 500 miles. Though once the new tires go on and alignment is done, I'm thinking of tack welding the bolt washers in place.

David Bricker / SYR

So long as the holes in your drop brackets are not oval shaped, you shouldn't need the adjusters. If they are oval (allowing for fore/aft adjustment of the control arms) you need the adjuster in there to keep the axle from shifting on you.

So long as the holes in your drop brackets are not oval shaped, you shouldn't need the adjusters. If they are oval (allowing for fore/aft adjustment of the control arms) you need the adjuster in there to keep the axle from shifting on you.

yes the rough country brackets are slotted for the shoes..

i ran adjustable arms and got rid of the shoes and welded washers to keep my arms from sliding back and forth and they will slide back and forth with out them.

Well, I was FINALLY able to wrestle the passenger side together this evening!!!! Thought I would try it both ways, disconnected at the axle and not.
This might also be a good time to mention that I am also installing new uppers during this whole process.

Anywho, I completely disassembled the upper and lower arms on the passenger side. Found out with a little up and down on the floor jack and everything eventually lines up!

Driver side I left the LCA connected at the axle. This is actually giving me more of a pain than the passenger side due to the fact that I can't kinda wiggle the LCA side to side to get the shoe and the bushing go in at the same time..... More tomorrow.....

Back