• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 charging system problems (still with update.)

2001BlackonBlack

NAXJA Forum User
So here is the problem, the alternator will not charge, I have replaced or checked the alternator, new batt, new battery cabling, powertrain control module, cleaned all grounds, new battery tmep sensor, the PCM was the last piece in the puzzle so I tought any ideas ofr what else could be cuasing this? Is their a battery indicator light in 2001? I heard if this lamp burns out that the charging circut will not work. I'm stuck and need some ideas on what is next.

Check the field wire, green, from PCM to alt. Even if it has been visually inspected do an ohms test on it. Any corrosion or a break inside the insulation will show up as high or infinite resistance. Actually check and double check all charging system wires with a multi meter. If all checks out it wouldn't be the first time a parts stores sold a bad alt. Oh, and check the pins and slots in the connector at the PCM. I had trouble with my fuel pump not working and the slot in the connector was spread and not making contact with the pin on the PCM.

yeah I just had my alt bench checked at NAPA, I did tone out the field wire, can you tell me how much voltage should be on the field. what ever the battery is at is what I show on the source wire. Thanks for your help I try that out tomorrow.

Is their a battery indicator light in 2001?
No indicator light. What happens when the battery voltage drops past a certain level is that the "Check Gauges" indicator lights up and the voltage gauge goes to 0. While the voltage may not actually be at 0, its basically a "Look at me" function.

I just replaced my alternator and battery cables. I hope that I don't suffer from the same problem. My check engine light is still on, which has me slightly concerned. My voltmeter is sitting at 14 though.

I don't really understand how/why the alternator wouldn't charge if it was replaced and the wires were replaced. What exactly does the little alternator plug with the two wires do? I always assumed that it told you if the alternator was charging.

I just replaced my alternator and battery cables. I hope that I don't suffer from the same problem. My check engine light is still on, which has me slightly concerned. My voltmeter is sitting at 14 though.

I don't really understand how/why the alternator wouldn't charge if it was replaced and the wires were replaced. What exactly does the little alternator plug with the two wires do? I always assumed that it told you if the alternator was charging.

The check engine and check gauges lights are 2 different things. As Talyn mentioned the check gauges light will come on if the oil press drops/ temp goes super hot or the volts gauge drops.

The check engine light may come on along with this depending whats going on but not always.

The check engine and check gauges lights are 2 different things. As Talyn mentioned the check gauges light will come on if the oil press drops/ temp goes super hot or the volts gauge drops.

The check engine light may come on along with this depending whats going on but not always.

The check engine light turns on if the alternator isn't charging. The check gauges light turns on once your voltage goes below 9 or so. Once you go below about 9, it drops to zero and the check gauges light appears. Ask me how I know. :D

The check engine light doesn't turn in response to the alternator not charging.

Says you...

• 41 Alternator field control circuit open or shorted
  • 46 Battery voltage too high during charging or charging system voltage too low
  • 47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low
  • 1682 Charging system doesn’t seem to be working well. Check alternator, etc.

Well I don't know what to say. First hand experience with alternator not charging and triggering the check engine light. Followed by multiple references online to the check engine light triggering. I guess you said it best:

I guess you are special then.

If you disconnect the green lead at the PDC and at the alternator you can check the continuity of the fusible link to check its condition. If it is blown; the alternator cannot charge the battery nor supply power to the vehicle systems.

Back