• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a little help

terryg

NAXJA Forum User
tryin to get both xj's ready for big bear fest- my x-member was cracked 1/2 way thru, so changed it out, but found one of the bolts broken at the head. i don't have the tools to drill it out & tap it. also got 3 bolts that hold up the t-case skid plate that are stripped. any help i can get would be appreciated.

AW BAWLZ terry I have a snap on extractor set, wish i had the extra cash to drive out and help. Should be able to buy a extractor at auto zone.

hope that helps any

peace
ted

hope to see you in socalfest

there is a big sale at harbor freight today, i have their extractor set and it works pretty well, comes with drill bits and its only a few bucks.

x2 on what grimm said. just be patient and take your time. rushing the process will only bring headaches. ask me how i know...

That happened to mike-g on the trail.. we just welded it on and ran the weekend..

thanx guys - my prob is two-fold. the drop bracket isn't as secure, cuz it only has the front bolt goin thru the drop bracket & x-member. think this might be givin me low speed death wobble when hitting pot-holes. the other prob is i live in an apt complex, & don't have a drill (or 500ft elect cord) to do the work.

Drills are cheap at harbor freight. Buy 1 and a couple batteries, return them after you are done, if you need to.

this is bs, i asked for a little help cuz i don't have the tools or the place to work on the rig. 1 response was positive, but he gotta check w/ wife first. guess i still blacklisted over the bs w/ gerr & his butt-buddie the ranger

where's the BS? That people aren't lining up to go out of there way and help you when they are trying to find time to get their own stuff done?

That post may be indicative of why..

Just read through the thread and Terry your more then welcome to come up to my place to work. I have a decent supply of tools and a garage to work. Whatever tools I may not have for the job, I'm sure I can track them down. I do have some harborfreight extractors but nothing to rethread the bad holes. Let me know if your interested and we can set something up.

thank u brad, what time u avail on sat?

I watch my son Saturday morning while my wifes at work and wrenching with a 15 month old can be challenging. My wife gets off work at 1:30 and I will be free the rest of the day. The only plans I have is to inspect my front diff/ change the fluid and yank my front driveshaft. None of that should take long at all.

You still need help? I didn't hear back from you.

oh come on. if you can't make it to brad's place and get it handled drive it out here and I'll do the whole thing for you. no need to be a crybaby about it :rolleyes:

Just went through my tools and realized that I have the Harborfreight "Easy Out" which removes a bolt with a stripped head, not a bolt with a busted off head. I guess I don't have the specific tool needed after all. Sorry about that. My offer to use my garage and get help from me is still open. I would be happy to help in any way I can, but you will need to track down the tools needed. Wish I could be more help. Feel free to call if you want to set something up.

Terry your more than welcome to borrow the extractor set I have I may have the tap too but you may be better off doing a weld nut for the skid, I had my inserts strip a few times and they are never the same after that first use.

oh come on. if you can't make it to brad's place and get it handled drive it out here and I'll do the whole thing for you. no need to be a crybaby about it :rolleyes:
That's it, I'm drivin to Mike's place to make him work on my Jeep...:D

Back