• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Pedal got stuck..

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
My gas peddle got stuck while I was driving my 1999 - 4.0 -180,000 miles.

I opened the hood and the mechanism around the spring near the end of the throttle cable was stuck, I loosened it with my hand, then hit the gas peddle a few times and it was fine.

I think what happened was when I was doing a coolant flush I was messy and got coolant all over that area where the spring is, which probable wiped away any of the lubricant or caused it to stick.

I sprayed it down with wd-40 and it seems well lubricated now.

Should I change the spring or anything else, everything seems fine now.

Re: Gas Peddle got stuck..

nah, no spring change required. Mine did it to a while back would just stick around 2000rpms. Made stopping a PIA. I just disassembled the Throttle body. Used brake cleaner to remove any gunk and old grease on the spring. Then just rubbed a liberal amount of new grease over it. Just moved it back and fourth to work in the grease and I've not had a problem for 2 years so far.

Also WD-40 is technically a penetrating oil (if I'm not mistaken) and breaks down the grease. Clean/grease is a better long term solution then spraying it every so often.

Last edited:
Re: Gas Peddle got stuck..

nah, no spring change required. Mine did it to a while back would just stick around 2000rpms. Made stopping a PIA. I just disassembled the Throttle body. Used brake cleaner to remove any gunk and old grease on the spring. Then just rubbed a liberal amount of new grease over it. Just moved it back and fourth to work in the grease and I've not had a problem for 2 years so far.

Also WD-40 is technically a penetrating oil (if I'm not mistaken) and breaks down the grease. Clean/grease is a better long term solution then spraying it every so often.

Thanks I'll get a can of that white lithium grease and spray it down with that also.

My understanding of WD-40 is that it's a water displacer rather than a penetrant like PB Blaster or Kroil. I guess you can use it to remove the old stuff if you want, but WD-40 should not really be used as a lubricant where a grease or oil is called for.

Back