• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi, 98 XJ here

Dirt22

NAXJA Forum User
Bought my XJ a couple months ago. Lovin it so far, It will be my DD when I'm not on my Harley. I have a 98 TJ that is too far into rock crawling mode to be any good at DDing, so we got the XJ. I live in Temecula and work in Oceanside, so ya'll may see me along the way.

I put a roof rack on it, some home brew bumpers front and rear with shackle tabs and a set of 30" BFG ATs for now. Plan on a 4" lift and 32s or 33s eventually.

Here's the XJ:
dsc01598bq.jpg

And my TJ:
dsc00990si.jpg

Welcome to the XJ world. I came from the TJ world as well. Had a built TJ that I thought was a great wheelin rig. Then I wheeled my XJ and never looked back. My XJ can do things my TJ only had wet dreams about.

eh, My TJ is my rocks jeep, it will get back-halved, tubed, a V8 and 42s eventually, the XJ will be the adventure jeep and for driving to trails instead of trailering.

I think it would be cool to have the XJ flat tow the TJ though, they're both the same color and year.
Different purposes for different jeeps.

Anyhow, Thanks for the welcome.

eh, My TJ is my rocks jeep, it will get back-halved, tubed, a V8 and 42s eventually, the XJ will be the adventure jeep and for driving to trails instead of trailering.

I think it would be cool to have the XJ flat tow the TJ though, they're both the same color and year.
Different purposes for different jeeps.

Anyhow, Thanks for the welcome.

If your planning on going to 42's, V8, and tubing then your right with sticking with the TJ for your wheelin rig. XJ's and 42's aren't a good mix. (unless you have seriuos $$$$$). If you want to meet a lot of us in one central place then you should come out for so cal fest. You can get an idea of what your stock rig can do and what some mild to extreme built XJ rigs can do.

If your planning on going to 42's, V8, and tubing then your right with sticking with the TJ for your wheelin rig. XJ's and 42's aren't a good mix. (unless you have seriuos $$$$$). If you want to meet a lot of us in one central place then you should come out for so cal fest. You can get an idea of what your stock rig can do and what some mild to extreme built XJ rigs can do.

I call BS! They bolt right on after a lift kit!

7n42s-1.jpg

In more seriousnous, there are a LOT of XJ's and MJ's with 42's on them. It is no different than running 40's, and this whole "the xj is only good to 40" tires" thing is complete BS. (Those tires in the pic have been on 2 XJ's and an MJ)

Last edited:
I call BS! They bolt right on after a lift kit!

7n42s-1.jpg

In more seriousnous, there are a LOT of XJ's and MJ's with 42's on them. It is no different than running 40's, and this whole "the xj is only good to 40" tires" thing is complete BS. (Those tires in the pic have been on 2 XJ's and an MJ)
They might bolt up but it doesn't look like there is much suspension travel there.

3 up and 7 down.

but the point was more there is no 40" tire cap. :)

I wasn't trying to make a debate. You can run a 42" tire on an XJ, I was just saying it would be less expensive to do that on a TJ, but if $$$ isn't an issue then go nuts. I would love to see an XJ on 42's wheelin. Cal, looks like you have your next project.

I wasn't trying to make a debate. You can run a 42" tire on an XJ, I was just saying it would be less expensive to do that on a TJ, but if $$$ isn't an issue then go nuts. I would love to see an XJ on 42's wheelin. Cal, looks like you have your next project.

I don't see it being any cheaper on a TJ.

42s fit on the MJ too

DSC09186Large.jpg

I don't see it being any cheaper on a TJ.

I guess your right. I'm still in the smaller tire thinking. It was a LOT less for me to run 35's on my TJ (4" lift with no trimming) then the 35's on my XJ (6" long arm lift with lots of trimming). But I guess once you go up over 40's then the needed one ton axles, atlas t-case, and more would be the same for either rig. I still want to see this 42" wheeled XJ in action. Someone local needs to build it.

I guess your right. I'm still in the smaller tire thinking. It was a LOT less for me to run 35's on my TJ (4" lift with no trimming) then the 35's on my XJ (6" long arm lift with lots of trimming). But I guess once you go up over 40's then the needed one ton axles, atlas t-case, and more would be the same for either rig. I still want to see this 42" wheeled XJ in action. Someone local needs to build it.

Cracker used to run 42's on an XJ trail rig.

I think Vetteboy currently runs 42's on his XJ trail rig.

Back