• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new cam

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
the gear on my cam that drives the distributor is destroyed and it skips timing.

i am finally getting around to replacing it this week because i have had pneumonia for the last week or so. i know i need

-new cam
-valve cover gasket,headgasket,waterpumpgasket and cam seal?

what im not sure on is some people have said i can just replace the lifters with the cam and leave the old rockers and pushrods and others have said i should replace the pushrods and rockers.

i have never done this much engine work on my own but have a friend who will be helping me

my question is this do i replace the cam, lifters, push rods, and rockers or just the cam and lifters? i want to keep the motor in good operating order but without spending a ton of money. if new pushrods and rockers are a must i will replace them if not i would rather leave them be.

also it is an 88 4.0 5speed

thanks,
Mitch

Cam and lifters only. You realize that the most likely problem with the cam was the oil pump, right.

X2, but do mark each pushrod and rocker and put them back in the same position and orientation(don't flip the push rods cause they already wore in to their respective rocker cups).

Back