• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard to start only after fill up?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l AW4 231 combo. It has 136000 miles. I drive about 4-6 thousand miles a year and is used during snowy roads and long highway trips. It can sit for a month at a time. Just recently I started having an issue. When it is cold sometimes I have to give it light gas for it to start and it runs rough or will die if I let off the gas. It also does this for a bit if I fill the tank with gas. I'm guessing a fuel pump but I'd like to know rather than throw money at it. Give me some ideas, and if I need to know fuel pressure where is a reasonable place to get a fuel pressure gauge? Should I change the fuel filter? Last time I changed it was last summer.

Verifying fuel delivery is never a bad idea, but you could also have a problem with your throttle position sensor. Having to "tip in" the throttle a bit to start a cold engine can be related to your TPS. They can be tested.

As for a fuel pressure gauge, check around your local parts stores, and also Google Harbor Freight that are known for their low cost tools.

For a 96, you should confirm, but I believe the spec. is 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi.

It isn't that expensive to replace the fuel filter, but first remove the gas cap when you try to start it. Maybe you are pulling a vacuum on the gas tank. It it starts, check out the vapor canister and IIRC there is a solenoid that vents the tank.

Ok replaced the fuel filter. It still did it once this month when it was 31 degrees in the morning. I need a source for the fuel pressure gauge that is reasonable. To check my fuel rail pressure. I will try removing the cap if it hard starts again. Problem is it is intermittent.

Back