• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 binding

lozinge

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 xj 4.0 manual with a 242 t case.
I have been having problems with it binding in full time 4wd. I have put the vehicle on jack stands and run it in gear. When i turn the steering left or right it starts to bang and shake the front axle. I have rebuilt both front uj's. I can turn the wheels freely when the wheels are on lock with the motor off.

Any ideas?

if the tires are all in the air, then the binding isnt coming from the transfercase.

does it bind in part time with the wheels in the air?

i would remove the front driveshaft and put it in part time 4WD and see what happens when you turn

just a thought as I ran into something like this last year

check your linkage underneith, the mounts for the linkage on mine had rusted to the point one side had come loose. it seemed to be shifting into 4wd, but when I tried driving it would crack & pop horribly.
when I went to remove the t-case I noticed it was loose, tried it after fixing and it worked fine.

tonight i have removed the front diff cover. all looks good inside. no broken teeth or play.

I have adjusted the linkage and it is shifting fine.
When i run the engine in gear and take revs up to 1500 rpm. the t-case bangs when i put the front wheels on full lock with it in part or full time.

I was wonder if it was the chain causing the problems. has it is fine in 2wd

it does sound like a stretched chain. with the engine off and the t-case in 2WD, remove the front shaft and quickly turn the front output back and forth a few times, if you hear a slight rubbing/grinding/slapping sound, your chain is stretched and rubbing on the inside of the case.

Back