• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pump?

kinlawk

NAXJA Forum User
I just burnt up another power steering pump, and I am getting ready to redo my entire power steering system. I already ordered a 4.5" pully, transmission cooler, and an in line magnetic filter. I also ordered synthetic power steering fluid. I also plan on modifing the pump to increase the volume.

I am wanting to do a remote reservoir ( to increse the amount of fluid in the system and help with cooling and also in preperation for hydro-assist). After doing a little searching I realized that the stock pump on a yj has the correct inlet for a remote reservoir.

So here is the question, are the pumps any different except the power steering fluid inlet?

Is one pump weaker than the other?

Is this a bad idea?

I know that there are kits out there (PSC) that will resolve my problem, but they cost a little to much, I figure if this system does not work, I can always get an aftermarket high volume pump. Just for a comparision the stock YJ pump is about $50.00 and the PSC pump is about $190.00.

Thanks for any Help. Here is a pic of the YJ power steering pump on top and the XJ on the bottom.

getimage.php

getimage.php

Vehicle information- 1995, XJ, Dana 30, Lunch Box locker, 33's, stocsk gearing.

The problem that led me to dump the remote reservoir was the foaming problem. If the reservoir isn't designed properly, it induces air in the fluid as it is sprayed back in the reservoir and sucked into the pump.

I went with an 01 WJ pump and reservoir with my hydro assist. I have a pump like the top one with about a hundred miles on it and a reservoir if you want it for $50 plus shipping.

You can increase the volume capacity of your pump by drilling out the orifice in the pressure hose fitting. Drill it out 1 or 2 drill sizes bigger than it is stock.

The problem that led me to dump the remote reservoir was the foaming problem. If the reservoir isn't designed properly, it induces air in the fluid as it is sprayed back in the reservoir and sucked into the pump.

I went with an 01 WJ pump and reservoir with my hydro assist. I have a pump like the top one with about a hundred miles on it and a reservoir if you want it for $50 plus shipping.

Do you still have the pump for sale?

It is generally accepted that the bottom of the reservoir of a remote system needs to be 1" to 2" ABOVE the pump inlet. This poses a problem for XJs as there is a severe lack of room...

I need to measure the pump inlets but, most likely the 2001 WJ PS pump will have the same inlet (Saginaw after all) as ours, so our reservoir should fit. Why the 2001? They came with the hydraulic fan and produce a much higher flow rate.

All of the WJ pumps, insofar as I am aware, are 1900psi bypass whereas the XJ pump is a 1450psi bypass. The '01 WJ is a 2.8gpm vs a maybe 2.0gpm for the XJ. All in all, a better pump sharing the identical mounting points.

I have got two questions if anyone could answer.

1.) From what I have been reading the WJ pump can be use with a reservoir. Can it be use with a cooler also? For example using the extra tranny cooler in front of the ac condenser? Has it been done before?

2.) Why a XJ pulley? Is there a smaller one we can use since most off roading going to be done at low rpms? Or would it spin to fast?

Last edited:
I need to measure the pump inlets but, most likely the 2001 WJ PS pump will have the same inlet (Saginaw after all) as ours, so our reservoir should fit. Why the 2001? They came with the hydraulic fan and produce a much higher flow rate.
Only the V8 engined WJ had the hydraulic fan. The steering pump on the 01+ I6 and V8s are different part numbers.

If you use the WJ pump, make sure and run the return to the larger inlet, while plugging the smaller. If you don't you will get excess foaming and whine.

If you use the WJ pump, make sure and run the return to the larger inlet, while plugging the smaller. If you don't you will get excess foaming and whine.

This is hugely helpful!! Thanks. I've been dealing with the wining for about 6 months now and constantly looking at that larger fluid return port.

Back