• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks header cracked... what brand now?

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
Alright my factory header cracked at the collector a couple of years ago, so I ended up replacing it with a Banks header, which was heavier duty and seemed like good quality when I swapped it in. But I have noticed that the engine has sounded a bit louder lately, so I checked around tonight and noticed that it to has cracked where the 3 rear pipes come together, I can fit my finger nail in it pretty easy. (cold of course) It only lasted 16 months before it too died!

So what brands have you all had luck with?

I am more concerned with low end torque than I am with top end, and I definitely don't want to have to swap this again in the future... what a PIA. Thanks

i'd look into putting a piece of flex pipe somewhere in your system, or adding more hangers with rubber bushings. that's probably what caused your cracking.

as far as brands go. sorry i've got nothing for ya there.

I looked at getting the banks header also but decided against it for the $425 price tag. I got an APN Header for $170 shipped you could buy two of these shipped and still have money to buy beer... Or buy one of these and a dynomax super turbo exhaust and with there $75 rebate still only spend $280.
2011-05-03103806.jpg

2011-05-03103821.jpg

Have you checked your motor mounts? You shouldn't be killing a header that quickly.
Also, you might be able to weld up the crack and be back in business for nothing.

It only lasted 16 months before it too died!
===================================
Also, you might be able to weld up the crack and be back in business for nothing.
=====================================
It many have been a bad weld or you maybe beating it to death. Bad Motor mounts.
But you should have good medal to weld to with only a year on them.

Go to jyard get factory one,if it is cracked weld it.I have contemplated this same thing.Good apn,banks,what evewr...I go one with the funky bellows it it-it craked too-6 years later though.Do not waste any money on any header-go factory,and have a spare when that one cracks.It is like the fact of life-death is unavoidable-it will happen!!!

When I bought the Banks, they had it on sale for $100 off a couple of X-mas ago. (only the stainless though, I was hoping for ceramic coated). So for what I thought was better quality, it sounded like a good deal at the time.

The motor mounts were both replaced just before I installed the Banks. I thought the same thing, so I checked them out once I noticed the crack, and they both still look good and intact.

The one that's lasted me and a few of my friends is the $70 manifold on Ebay with the flex pipes.
thats the one i had-i used it when i changed my 88 renix to an 03 motor-well...when i put the factory one on i instantly noticed the exhaust sound changed and sounded better/deeper and i had a slight bit more power-no it wasnt due to o2 sensor reading "better" it only had a small crack-went away when warmed up-but to annoying at cold start .So i think the "flex/bellows" interfere with flow.

on my XJ and TJ I have a banks header and at the time of swap i put in fresh motor mounts and a flex pipe where oil pan is... no cracks or problems since

APN is a good replacement but yours should be under warranty

Warranty that banks and put in a flex pipe. Done and done. No point in buying another header when, without the flex pipe, that one will break too.

I bought my FIRST banks header summer 2005 and it had the same design as the above APN pictured. It last a few years and then cracked in the welds at the collector. I got a free replacement from 4wheel parts since it has that "no crack" guarantee. The new one was the current design that you can find on their website. I have now been through 6 of these lasting as little as 10 months. The only reason I keep replacing it with the same thing is because it is free but it is a complete PIA.

Both motor mounts have been replaced with dealership mopar replacements, all the hangers are good, and I have added a flex pipe in the down pipe before the cat. The transmission mount looks good but I am replacing it anyways since it is 14 years old and 200,000+ miles on it. On top of that I am going to have a new down pipe made since that is the only thing left in the exhaust that I haven't replaced and I will reposition the flex pipe and put it in where the down pipe crosses under the engine/transmission. If this doesn't keep the next one from cracking then I am going to replace the motor mounts with brown dog units. If it cracks again after that I will finally admit defeat and blame the header completely and get another.

Just know nrwphoto you are not alone.

Why wouldn't you just send it back and get a new one? Banks headers have a lifetime warrantee!!! I'd try to get a free one before I spent any money for sure. I've got one on my GF's TJ, put it on over a year ago and no issues yet. The flexpipe does sound like a good idea.

I posted a comment on Bank's facebook page linking this thread to it and they actually responded. That was my second comment to them about this situation. They told me to call their tech support line which I plan to do but I know I don't need to because 4wheel parts will swap it out no questions asked they just need to visibly see the crack and they hand me a brand new one.

Banks is reengineering the 4.0 header to stop the cracking. You may call them and see if the new design is better yet.

(You do know that Banks is working on 4.0 power now, and that several of their engineers are driving XJ's and Naxja members.. right?)

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I called Banks today and their warranty is 5yrs replacement and then it looses 10% of cost each year after that, down to 50%. They came out with a new header this past year so it will take 1-2wks for them to do a custom order of the old model for the warranty. I also have to send mine in first or pay 50% for the header and then once I get the new one send the old one back for a refund.

So I have decided on a whole new exhaust. I ordered the cheap factory looking header with the bellows today from eBay since it's cheaper than a used factory unit at the local junk yards (Junk yards in the Phoenix, AZ area seem to be far from cheap!) I also ordered the Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust, hard to beat with the $75 rebate on top of the low price. Will be replacing the O2 sensors and Cat, and then I will weld up a custom piece myself from the header to the Cat with a flex pipe. Get rid of that factory pinch point.

Then I will send in the Banks under warranty and store or sell the replacement unit. Not really eager to go with it again after it failing so quick, plus I noticed no performance gain with it and actually lost about 2mpg around the same time I put it on. Not sure if that was coincidence or not, guess I will find out.

first.. the "stock" motormounts are garbage and can't take the abuse of offroad, with that said, replace the engine mounts with something better/stiffer, install an APN or "like" header of choice and enjoy.

just weld it back together or have someone do it for you and replace your motor mounts.. Also get that flex pipe on there and you wont have any more problems

Back