• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

odd problem when fuel gauge reads under 1/4

Ben_Dyer

NAXJA Forum User
OK so this has been happening here recently and its kinda irritating. If i let the jeep get down below 1/2 tank i start getting some pretty sluggish take offs and it likes to not let me go faster than about 55-60 mph. Once it gets down below 1/4 tank I cant put the pedal to the floor without it trying to stall out like its not getting gas and it tries to die on me. It also wont let me get above about 45 mph and i get a clunking coming from the drivers floor board that i can feel in the gas pedal. I do get a code but once i fill it all the way up and start it a few times it turns off and runs fine until i forget to fill it up.

98 Sport 4.0, auto tranny

What do you guys think this could be? I figure its got to be a bad fuel pump or something else in this area since it stops once full of gas.

Ben

I've seen this when the hose from the pump to the mounting gets rotten. It gives enough pressure as long as the hose is under the fuel.

I had a similar issue when my fuel filters went bad. As long as you are going into the tank you might as well change them. Something like $14 at Napa for both filters.

i dont have to syphon (got one of them nifty hoses with a ball and one way valve) but all three vehicles are full and i have no place to put 20 gallons of fuel. guess i will have to just wait a little while till the gas is used in the other trucks lol.

Back