• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231J HD Upgrade

John D

NAXJA Member # 788
Since doing my 5.3L/4L60e swap a transfer case upgrade has been on my mind. It says on the Novak site that the NP231 is “well mated to V8 power”, but I know that 5.13 gears, 35” tires and difficult terrain can make that statement questionable.

I read on just about every Jeep forum that all you have to do is find a 231C for 50 bucks on Craig’s List to get the wide chain and gears, and then find a 241D HD and grab the 6 planetary gear-set. Well, I looked most every day for about 6 months. I never saw a 231C for less than $150 and I never saw a 241D HD at all. I thought I was just going to have to run my 231J until it broke then go up to a 241OR or even a Altas when the time came.

Somehow I came across a guy on Ebay that was selling the t-case parts and I contacted him. http://stores.ebay.com/powertrain-p...=5303410&_sid=369570213&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
He said he would sell me a slightly used, but good condition wide chain and gears, plus a 6 planetary gear-set for $142 shipped. I was surprised and didn’t think it could really be true. I wasn’t having any luck with my original plan so I decided to take a gamble and try it. The parts arrived quickly and were indeed in good condition.
DSCN0459.jpg

The only thing I have ever done to a t-case is installing a couple SYE kits. But, I have done a couple manual transmissions so I figured it couldn’t be worse than that and yanked my t-case out and started to disassemble it.

Tail cone off.
DSCF0369.jpg

Back half of case off.
DSCF0370.jpg

Pulled this out of t-case.
DSCF0371.jpg

231J three planetary gear-set.
DSCF0372.jpg

Remove front cover.
DSCF0373.jpg

Re: 231J HD Transfer Case Upgrades

Pull the input gear and planetary out.
DSCF0374.jpg

Reassemble input gear with new six planetary gear-set.
DSCF0375.jpg

Here is the difference in the size of the chains.
DSCF0376.jpg

Difference in the gears.
DSCF0378.jpg

Pop this thing off the output gear.
DSCF0379.jpg

And this.
DSCF0380.jpg

So it looks like this.
DSCF0381.jpg

241 gear on the right has roller bearing inside you need to knock out.
DSCF0382.jpg

Put it back together,
DSCF0383.jpg

That’s it! Reinstall the t-case and enjoy your new found piece of mind.

It took me a total of about 3 hours because I was taking the pics and trying to remember the steps.

Last edited:
Why is the magnet on the end of the shifting shaft? Hope you don't forget to put it in the right place before things go on.

Back