• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you use RTV when replacing the thermostat?

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard both ways on this one and am curious as to how it’s really supposed to be done. I use it, but it often makes the install messy. Is it really necessary? I’m replacing mine now and all the “How Tos” I find online never mention RTV. Leaks suck. :D

Most new thermostat gaskets have an adhesive side that you peel and stick to the housing..

Regardless, I always smeer a small amount on..

Yep, I used just a small amount. I had a mechanic friend once who didn't use it at all, on anything, and never experienced any leaks. He says RTV is for suckers lol. He did everything from diff covers to valve covers to intakes - you name it, no RTV.

Thanks, all! :)

Would that make you "both ways" curious?

I used to smear a light coating of RTV on the paper gasket, but have stopped doing it. For two flat surfaces, the paper gasket is all you need.

Logic dictates that if something cannot help you then at best it can break even and the only other remaining outcome is make things worse. RTV does not make it better so...

I don't use gaskets anymore bad luck with them RTV has never let me down.

I used to smear a light coating of RTV on the paper gasket, but have stopped doing it. For two flat surfaces, the paper gasket is all you need.

Logic dictates that if something cannot help you then at best it can break even and the only other remaining outcome is make things worse. RTV does not make it better so...

I agree. I have disassembled too many things that the PO has gone ape with RTV on. Gooped up thermostats, valve covers glued on with the excess RTV flopping around loose in the rockers etc. Gasgacinch on a paper gasket works just fine.

For a situation where the thermostat housing is in excellent condition as is the engine mounting surface, RTV really isn't necessary. But since there can be a gouge or two, it doesn't hurt. Just go easy. More isn't better here!

I just did the stat on my 99. The thermostat gasket came with a small bead of hardened RTV type product on one side that is designed to heat up and seal the one side, and I used a very thin layer of Permatex 2b (black) on the other side.

For a situation where the thermostat housing is in excellent condition as is the engine mounting surface, RTV really isn't necessary. But since there can be a gouge or two, it doesn't hurt. Just go easy. More isn't better here!

I just did the stat on my 99. The thermostat gasket came with a small bead of hardened RTV type product on one side that is designed to heat up and seal the one side, and I used a very thin layer of Permatex 2b (black) on the other side.

I'm with you. A small amount of Permatex 2B, Gasgacinch, Indian Head Shellac works fine.

I always wipe a real thin flim of sealant on the frist couple threads on the thremosat hosing bolts. Never had a stuck or rusty one. When we got my wifes 89 I pulled the rad and flushed it with a garden hose 30 -40 blobs of sealant the size of peas came out.

I use paper and a gasket, and not those stupid adhesive ones that always leak. Always request a fel-pro paper both sided one. BUt the surface on my block and housing is in bad shape so im sure its not helping at all.

Back