• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those damn plastic oil caps!!

I've been wondering this myself. I got all my oil leaks sealed and after I got back from a 4 hour trip my valve cover was soaked in fresh oil.
Been thinking about putting a 94 valve cover on since they seem to seal tight pretty good.
Or maybe a thicker flat O-ring on the cap would work. BTW my leaking cap is new.

do the ractchet action ones work on the renix valve covers? I thought the openings were different shapes. And my oil cap is new too! I have tried many flat o rings and no matter what they are too thick to get it to turn where it locks. Thanks for the replies! Anyone else?

If oil is leaking from the oil fill cap that much wouldn't that be a sign of a bigger problem? To much pressure pushing oil out of the cap because of a clogged CCV? Unless the cap is just not fitting right at all I guess...

Bingo. clean out the crankcase venting system and presto, no more leaks. I bet if you pull your distributor cap, you may find oil inside as well.

My oil pressure runs 45-50 psi cold and around 20 when warmed up. I have replaced the valve cover gasket about 2 months ago and cleaned the ccv out with and replaced all the hoses along with it. So I don't think that is a problem. The oil leakes not a considerable amount but just enough to be annoying.

No the ratchet cap will not work on a renix valve cover.
My CCV is clean. and both of my renix away's leaked from the cap. I think it's just another crappy renix design.

I don't see why not. Same bolt pattern. I would use the gasket for that year cover though because they are slightly different.

If oil is leaking from the oil fill cap that much wouldn't that be a sign of a bigger problem? To much pressure pushing oil out of the cap because of a clogged CCV? Unless the cap is just not fitting right at all I guess...

Bingo. clean out the crankcase venting system and presto, no more leaks. I bet if you pull your distributor cap, you may find oil inside as well.

x3.

During the 13 years that I have owned the '98; I have replaced the cap twice when the ratchet mechanism stripped internally due to the heat. Verified the threads and replaced it with a Stant cap that doesn't have the rachet assembly. This replacement cap has solved the problem. The original cap was made of thin plastic where the new one is made of a more durable texturized plastic.

I put a VC from a '98 on my '90 and it's a direct bolt-on as long as you get a VC gasket that matches the VC. I picked the cover up from the jy for $8 and the '98 gasket was $10 cheaper than the Renix gasket so it was essentially free. I did grab a Stant replacement oil filler cap at the jy to go with my VC so I wouldn't have to deal with the OE ratcheting assembly.

During the 13 years that I have owned the '98; I have replaced the cap twice when the ratchet mechanism stripped internally due to the heat. Verified the threads and replaced it with a Stant cap that doesn't have the rachet assembly. This replacement cap has solved the problem. The original cap was made of thin plastic where the new one is made of a more durable texturized plastic.

I'll have to give one of these a try next time. Tired of the damn ratcheting caps not wanting to come off when they're warm, well at least not until they break off and you have to remove them with pliers...

When my '97 ratchet cap stopped working I thought I'd be slick and disassemble it and clean it and then use some plastic epoxy to prevent the ratcheting. It worked for a few months then stripped again. The AZ one I replaced it with doesn't ratchet and doesn't have the nice yellow lettering. If I think real hard I can usually figure out what the new cap is for.

oh good, I thought my 145lb strength was just too beast for my oil cap. I've replaced mine twice and I'll be buying another for this next coming oil change.

I will definitely be after the non-racket type.

Back