• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thermostat install orientation

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
im installing a stant superstat 195 tomorrow

there is no air bleed hole,
so which way should i orient the thermostat
i know which end points into the head and into the thermo housing, but how should it be rotated? does that make sense?

what part should be pointing at 12 o'clock?
or does it matter?

If there is no bleed hole it does not matter how it is rotated. If there is a bleed hole (or if you drill a bleed hole), put the hole to the top.

If it does not have a hole, I would drill one.

I've heard the bleed hole is more for helping bleed air out of the system then to help meter the coolant.

got it installed, not alot of change...
before i was sitting with the temp gauge right at just barely above the line between 100 and 210 (155?) and now i am like 2 or 3 needle widths over, still not satisfied, the jeep used to run up right under 210 all the time....
not sure what else to do.
it has still been cool here though, not many days over 70* still....

ideas? ill probably start a new thread for it.

Shouldn't ever be at 155. The average running temperature for the 4.0 is between 200 and 210 farenheit.

If you aren't in that area, review all parts of your cooling system. Radiator, radiator cap, water pump, fan clutch.......

When in doubt, do a wholesale replacement of all of these as the parts aren't particularly expensive. When I replace a radiator, it is a rare occasion when I don't replace the water pump, unless evidence that it's been done recently.

i have a 13lb cap, should i up it to a 16lb? will that make a difference? rad is recent (less then a year) fan clutch 2-3 years old. waterpump 15.-2 years old. rad cap 13lb 1.5-2 years old. i will try to find a laser temp gun to check the temp at the thermo housing. sensor in the head is about 3 years old when i did the valve cover gasket.

Confirming the actual temp will definitely tel you if you need to change anything.

Back