• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having trouble with brakes.

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
My brakes started to get really soft, and spongy this week going to the floor to stop. I bleed them today and the problem persists. The pedal feels hard when the jeep is off and as soon as I turn it on it again goes right to the floor. I am thinking its the booster or MC. Does anyone have suggestions on how to determine exactly where the problem is. Thanks in advance

Check for leaks at each of the brakes too. For the front just look for leaks around the caliper, inside by the pad and also where the hose meets the cylinder in the back. The rear brakes use a cylinder with pistons at each end to push the drums apart, flip up the rubber seals with a pick and see if they are leaking.

Pump the brake pedal with the engine off until it's firm, then start the engine. If the booster's working properly, you'll feel the pedal depress 1/2" or so as the vacuum assist kicks in.

Forgot 1999 31" tires 4.5" lift
new calipers, pads, rotors, drums, and shoes last year.

How new are the calipers?? Did this start after you changed the calipers?? Is the bleed screw on the TOP of the calipers?? Can't bleed if the bleeders are in the bottom of the caliper.

Have you checked the vacuum line running to the booster for leaks?

X2...and it also sounds like a bad booster or lines to it.

Info from
Vacuum problem=soft brakes
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007073
Post from: Brian C
As long as your vacuum supply to the booster is good, then yes your booster is not working.

Be sure to test the check valve too. It is the fitting that the vacuum line attaches to at the booster. Pull it out of the booster and make sure the vacuum is getting through it. You can test the one way valve by trying to blow through it; it should flow free in one direction and not flow at all in the other direction.

If I were you, before I spent any money replacing parts, I'd remove the master cylinder, bench bleed it, then reinstall it and bleed all four wheels. If that doesn't help, you're only out a few bucks for the brake fluid.

Back