• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanna put 33x12.5's comfortably. How cheap can i do it?

cbow_snow

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 1988 Jeep comanche pioneer. I want to fit 33x12.5 15's on it. How big of a lift do I need? and How cheap can I do it?
I've had people tell me to just do an axle under in the back and coils or coil spacers in the front with shims on the transfer case. IS that a good way or should I do something else.
I just dont wanna pay thousands to make my rig look nice. any help would be great.
DSC02526.JPG

If you do spring over in the rear, youll need 6 inches up front to match. If you do 6 inches up front, youll need springs, spacers, drop brackets or adjustable control arms, adjustable track bar, longer brake hoses, or a full long arm kit. If you dont do a lot of off road, you can get away with 3" up front with a budget boost and a professional alignment including caster adjustment, and some chevy drop shackles in the rear to give about
1 1/2-2" lift in back. The MJ already sits high in the back, so it should easily match the front. At 3" you may need minor trimming of the lower fenders in the front, but you would have to check that after you finish the lift. If you go heavy off road, youll need the 6 inch lift, and theres no cheap way to do that correctly.

ya, i just figured I wanted a straight answer from someone. not look up something. I never find what im looking for on the search.

This should help with that

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349

As for lift:
These will clear with minor trimming
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html (best option from this company w/o spending over $1000)
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html (if you cant afford the other this will be fine but its not as good as the other)

Look for info on rear axles and if you have a D35 Most will recommend swapping to a 8.25 (came in some XJ's) 8.8 (explorer) or D44 (came in a few XJ's).

Matt

ya, i just figured I wanted a straight answer from someone. not look up something. I never find what im looking for on the search.

THe search takes some getting used to. Once you figure it out you'll feel better about it. I am on 3 or so inches and have 32's so somewhere around 4 with trimming and proper bumpstopping should do fine for you. As for doing it Cheap, just throw that out the window. Save bucks where you can by buying used quality parts. If you go cheap you usually end up spending more in the long run.

ive got 33x12.5 with 4" of lift in the front and 4.5" in the rear. ive got about 400$ in my put together lift off craigslist and that includes front disconnects. slight trimming in the front and rear with factory flares(ive chopped the front fenders level with bottom of the headlights but thats for my bumper). works great offroad and drives down the road well too!

jeeplifted003.jpg

where abouts in NH are ya?

now on topic, this is my last rig, origanal lift cost me nothin, i used spacers up frt and aal's out back for 2? with some tripping and bumpstopping i ran 33's i wound up goin to 3" and it was perfect id run the setup in a new rig in a heartbeat, did well and was extremely stable

when it had the 2"
2884_95275818454_513533454_2661122_2603793_n.jpg

3"

209.JPG

Or if you lift a little and cut enough you can fit 35" happily

Don't listen to this guy if you can't afford a good lift then you can't afford the needed upgrades to run 35's like a better front axle gears axle shafts. I say save up get ur self some long arms and do the lift right the first time instead of lifting it and wishing you went bigger so you could fit 35's or bigger.

Don't listen to this guy if you can't afford a good lift then you can't afford the needed upgrades to run 35's like a better front axle gears axle shafts. I say save up get ur self some long arms and do the lift right the first time instead of lifting it and wishing you went bigger so you could fit 35's or bigger.
Now that's telling it like it is!!! I agree completely 100%. Cheap and jeep don't mix.

3 - 4 inch of Lift when i did it.
The salvage yard i go to has dirt cheep prices.

Front Lift
Thunder bird Coil v-8
Chevy 1500 Front brake lines (new on the truck Would not have taken them Other wise)
JK rubicon Factory shocks Slight mod.
Stock Track Bar
Stock UCA
Stock LCA
$30 Dollars total

Steel Ford Ranger (Wheels more back spacing for than the stock jeep wheels) Traded them.

Rear
S-10 Bastard Pack
Jk Rubicon Take offs
96 Dakota rear brake line (new)
$55 Dollars total

So $85 for the Win

Trimming is required. I did the cut and fold.

Last edited:

hahaha you're funny. you tell the op not to listen to someone who has a cheap suggestion for fitting larger tires, saying the he can't afford it. then you go and suggest he buy a long arm kit, which would be more than everything combined if cut right, with some minor welding/fab know how.

You could do not lift at all but it really depends on how much you are willing to trim.
But the most I see on xjs/mjs is 3" and some decent trimming.
I used to run 5" with very slight trimming. (sorry no pics).
12.50s will hit your lower control arms with stock wheels so you will need to get some different wheels or go with 10.50 tires.

Back