• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limited slip?

Cherokee Dan

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing all the fluids on my son's me to us 99 XJ. It has 135k and lots of service receipts but nothing on replacement of diff fluids. It has a 8.25 rear but i don't know if it has limited slip. Only one tire spins if you dump the clutch in wet weather and it doesn't want to get loose (fishtale) if you jump on it in a wet corner. My questions are:

How do i know if it has limited slip?(for adding friction modifier to new diff fluid)

capacities for rear diff. Ordering Amsoil before the price increase coming may 1st.

Capacities for front diff (also Amsoil)

Capacities for the transfer case i think it has select-trac(don't know which one i have)

Will probably buy a pump to get out the old fluids as everthing we have worked on on this jeep has been rusted and a pain

Any other ideas?

Many thanks

Cherokee Dan

Last edited:
Chances are, if it's an 8.25 Chrysler, it's open. The two with LSD we have are both Dana 35. They both vibe-one much worse than the one that's just starting.

That being said, lift the rear so that both wheels are off the ground, tranny in neutral. Spin a wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns the same way, LSD. If it turns the opposite, open. The '96 with the D35 is the worst. When we first got it, driving at a slow speed under light throttle, say climbing a hill, the rear of the car would actually wag gently back and forth, as if the clutches were alternately catching and slipping. We were told to put in two doses of additive, and the problem is mostly gone. Now, to deal with the vibe....

Buy all your fluids and perform the fluid change. If you open the diff and find a Limited Slip, drive to the parts store and buy the required additive.

Cherokee Fluid Capacities

Engine Oil
-2.5L (4cyl) - 4.0 Quarts (3.8L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 6.0 Quarts (5.7L)

Cooling System
-2.5L (4cyl) - 9.0 Quarts (8.5L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 10.5 Quarts (9.9L)

Automatic Transmission
-4.0L (6cyl) The AW-4 Automatic Transmission uses Transmission Fluid labeled Dexron-III/Mercon.

- Drain and Re-fill = 4 Quarts (3.8L)
- Filter and complete fluid exchange = 8 Quarts (7.8 L)

-2.5L (4cyl) Chrysler/Mopar Automatic Transmissions use ATF+3 or ATF+4 Type 7176

Manual Transmission
-AX-5 5 speed manual - 3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-AX-15 5 speed manual - 3.32 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-NV3550 5 speed manual - 2.1 quarts Mopar fluid part # 04874464AA or Snychromax (meets Mopar MS-9224 specs)

The NLGI specs are important - typical NLGI GL-5 gear oil carries added sulphur used as an Extreme Pressure (EP) lubricant. Especially when heated, sulphur is antagonistic to yellow (copper-based) metals - and the synchronizer rings and any bushings in the AX-15 are bronze. Most synthetic gear oils are rated GL-5 and are listed as "safe for use with yellow metals."

Unlike API Motor Oil specs (to API Service SL/CJ-4,) NLGI Gear Oil specifications are not reverse-compatible. Well-stocked parts houses will have both NLGI GL-3 or GL-4 and NLGI GL-5 mineral-based gear oil in stock all the time.

If you want to use a synthetic (RedLine, AmsOil, etc.) either check the back of the bottle or check the manufacturer's website to make sure it's safe for use with yellow metal - using sulphur-bearing gear oils usually results in draining your synchronizer rings at your next fluid change...

Transfer Case
-NV231 Part-Time (Command-Trac) - 2.2 Pints (1.0L)
Dexron III/Mercon

-NV242 Full-Time (Selec-Trac) – 2.85 Pints (1.3L)
Dexron III/Mercon

Front Axle
-Dana 30 - 2.5 Pts (1.2L) SAE 75W-90

Rear Axle
-When equipped, Trac-Lok Limited Slip rear axles require 4 ounces of Friction Modifier Additive

-Dana 35 - 3.5 Pints (1.66L) SAE 75W-90
-Dana 44 - 4.0 Pints (1.89L) SAE 75W-90
-Chrysler 8.25 - 4.4 Pints (2.0L) SAE 75W-90

For towing and off-road use SAE 75-140 synthetic

A lot of 8.25's came with limit slips....just depends on the option package. On the newer models, there's often a bar code label on the axle, near the right drum backing plate, identifying that you have a limit slip.

Why not just remove the diff cover to see if you have a Limit Slip or not. It's not all that difficult to do. It will also give a good excuse to clean out any other crud and perform an overall insection.

Pumping out fluids is ok for every now and then oil change, but you don't always clean out all the crud that sits at the bottom. At 135k, I'd be interested in seeing the overall condition of the gears and such, and removing 135k worth of debris.....

If you do see a limit slip, then you can go out and buy some limit slip oil additive....

It does. Or, you can open the diff and look inside.

Open diff on the left and Limited Slip diff on the right.

standard.jpg

Resurrecting an old post.... Does anyone know if the the build sheet from Chrysler identify's the LSD?

I still have the build sheet from my '98, and it lists the LSD under optional equipment as "Axle - Trac-Lok Differential" - $285

Back