• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper Issue (Front)

ras97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching but nothing I've found matches this particular problem...

Last week, a "friend" of mine decided that it would be funny to unload an entire fire extinguisher inside my Jeep, thereby covering EVERY SINGLE INCH of the interior with that lovely powder. There was also a good deal that got behind the dash, as well as on/in the steering column. I have since had it thoroughly cleaned by a professional detailing service, and have removed as much of the powder from the dash as possible without completely disassembling the entire thing (that will probably come soon enough).

Now, after the incident, I noticed no loss of functionality to any of the interior items. The ignition cylinder sticks ever so slightly, but still functions just fine. The wipers also worked with no issues... at first. Now I've got this weird issue where that occurs when I go to start the Jeep. When I turn the key to the 'On' position, the wipers will swipe back and fourth three or four times, regardless of the position of the switch. At that point, they will return to their resting position and stay there. Moving the switch will activate the wipers correctly, and every position on the stalk (this has intermittent wipers) will function as it should. Once the switch is returned to the 'Off' position the wipers stop as they should. Basically, the switch functions exactly as it should, except on initial vehicle start up, where they swipe a few times regardless of the selector position.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue? Could the switch have gone bad (wouldn't be surprised considering the state of the interior after the event) even though it still retains proper function after the initial start-up issue?

The Jeep is a 1997 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L, 5 MT. I'd like to know if I have to add wiper switch to the kid's bill, on top of interior detailing and a CB radio.

Any input would be great! Thanks!

Depending on the type of extinguisher used, some of the chemicals can be caustic to electronics. If it was me, I'd add a wiper switch to the dip shit's bill. I'd also plan on pulling the dash and cleaning as much of that crap out from behind it as possible. Otherwise you're going to end up with more electrical gremlins down the road.

BUMMER!!!!--Beware of the particulates, as they will cause lung damage. Example: Later on down the road, and you turn on your heater blower.., that crap that has dropped down into the defroster vents.., will get you! We have volcanic ash in my area, that once gets sucks up into the fresh/interior air ducts.., it hangs out, and under various vibrations, humidity, etc., even after several years.., some of it still pops up onto the dash. Hmmm.... Not good. I have had some success using an air hose, in conjunction with the blower forcing particulates in two different directions in order to mix it all up, and from various niches in order to get the blower moter fan to evacuate the majority. Yet, I am still plagued with minor amounts. I'd air hose out all the vents, and all around and about under your dash.., and do it again, and again, i.e., several times in one session, and then do it again in a week, and then again in a month. Wear a particle mask while you are at it.:skull2:

x2 that stuff can be caustic. I would plan on pulling everything out and cleaning it all out.

I would demand he pay for the entire interior to be removed and cleaned, not by a detailing company either. That stuff could eat away and cause you major problems a year from now. Not to mention it being trapped in places the detailers couldn't get to and then eventually you breathing it in.

Yeah, I've already got a nice bill made up for him. I also plan to fully disassemble the interior when I get home from school in two weeks.

The crap is called Purple-K if anybody knows about that stuff.

heh

"Avoid skin, eye, or respiratory exposure. Use appropriate PPE when handling or maintaining equipment, and wash thoroughly after handling..."

"Respiratory protection: use N95 dust mask for limited exposure, use air-purifying respirator (APR) with high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters for prolonged exposure.
Eye protection: wear chemical goggles or full-face APR.
Skin protection: use nitrile, latex, or similar gloves and coveralls. Good personal hygiene practices essential, such as avoiding food, tobacco products, or other hand-to-mouth contact when handling. Wash thoroughly after handling."

and I'm not sure if this is an upside or not... "Persistence/
Degradability: degrades rapidly in humid/wet environment"

In sumation, yes it will most definately need to be cleaned and as for the wiper issue, i would check your ignition switch on the column. It's been known to blow or melt down and cause funky electrical issues with the radio, signals, wipers etc.

I think you need to address your carpeting too. When I replaced my evaporator/heater cores I pulled the dash/console/seats and carpeting. I power washed the carpeting with car wash soap, rinsed it thoroughly, blew most of the remaining water out with a leave blower, hung it up to drain then let it bake in the sun on my black driveway. The matting on the backside took a while to dry. It came out like new carpeting, but the main reason for doing it should be your health. That crap will be kicked up with your feet and by turning on the heater.

I'd also use electronics cleaner (leaves no residue and is won't short out components) and compressed air on all of the connections and switches. It will be a lot of work but you've got to think about the possibility of future cancer or COPD.

Back