• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Question... regeared 8.8 vs. regeared 8.25 w/LSD

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
SO, im at yet another crossroads... it's sad really.. I have a 3 link, frame stiffeners, and rock rails all just sitting to go on, and no im trying to buy moreparts:) Just haven't had the time to install stuff!

which brings me to my question

SO Im trying to decide what to do on gears. I am going 4.88.
What should I do?

Chrysler 29 spline 8.25, regeared to 4.88 with LSD

or

Ford 8.8 with stock LSD and 4.88 gears?

I know the ford is better... and I don't know that it would cost anymore to do, once I've bought a locker for the Chrysler....

The Chrysler is appealing because of course, it is already on the jeep... and it is the correct width...etc...

The Ford is attractive for a number of reasons... 3" axles, Disc Brakes, Factory LSD, way more aftermarket and the 8.8 ring gear.... of course. It also comes with the work of installing it, but a rear, leaf sprung axle isnt too intimidating to install.... thoughts?

I need to be doing stuff as cheap as possibe... but we all know how that goes once we've crossed a certain point....

What could I sell my stock, 29 spline axle for?

What size tires are going to run?
Terrain?

what he said ^

Personally Id get the 8.8 with an open carrier and slap a lunch box in it. My 8.8 didnt like to lock up all the time when I needed the LSD to work so I welded it

Sorry, totally forgot tire size... Im at 33" firestone M/T's now and they are E rated and measure pretty true so.. they are heavy..lol Next Time i buy tires it will be 35"

Plus, super heavy, solid hex long arms, rock rails, frame stiffeners, ultimately bumpers, winch and full size spare... needless to say it will haul some weight...

Can't afford an open 8.8 and a lunch box...lol i can get an 8.8 with an lsd for $200

brackets are 100-200$ depending on where you go... need a new yoke $50 or find one at the JY, plus the big costs will be the damn rotors and stuff... the 8.8 gets a little pricey.. but i may be able to swing it. The Chryslr is a more atractve option financially obviously but i worry about a LSD'd 8.25 on 35" tires and deep gears

I live in the mountains... i may be moving to Charleston SC, but id still drive back to Coal Country pretty often... terrain will be varied

This is the type of stuff I've been wondering about... so you really think 35's locked on the 8 1/4 is fine??? Who sells alloys for them?

also, how do you like the no-slip?

This is the type of stuff I've been wondering about... so you really think 35's locked on the 8 1/4 is fine??? Who sells alloys for them?

also, how do you like the no-slip?

i ran 35's on a welded 27 spline with alloys with no issues. the dana 30 broke before the 8.25 did.

Go with the 8.25 for now.

I have an 8.8 with 31's (yes, I said 31's) and I could dig nice trenches all day. Not worth it unless you have 35+ tires or some shaving skills.

If you go to a real good gear shop/guy, he will like the fact that the 8.25 uses side adjusters instead of shims. I just got 4.88 yukons installed in my 8.25 and the shop said that it was so easy to setup and it runs just as quiet as stock (just as any regear should). A lot of people say the 8.25 is noisy with deep gears but thats not true at all, its all about the install.

I'd say if your max is gona be 35s then 8.25 should be fine, if you plan on getting really hardcore with it in the future then 8.8. Even if you decide to get an 8.8 down the road you could sell your geared 8.25 for a pretty penny... yukon 4.88s for the 8.25 are over 300 just for the gears themselves.... The axle will sell for more with 4.88s then it will with 4.10s or 4.56s for sure but the 8.25 should live a while especially if you get upgraded shafts.

^^^ Did not know that about the brakes!!! you guys are convining me..I have argued that it is strong enough with people before... guess i was just letting them get the best of my own judgement!

what do people do with the dfference in bolt pattern between kj nd xj?

Yes, the 8.25 is plenty enough for 35's. still beating on mine...

for the 8.8...
1-you wont be diggin trenches, the diff isnt that much larger
2- use the leaf perches you cut off and reweld on for the xj, weld a bolt for shock mount (up high out of the way) and ditch rear swaybar
3- ford ranger or aerostar vans have the 1310 flanges that bolt up so no need to buy a new flange. dont have time to go to the junkyard? fine, parts stores sell a 1310/1330 combo ujoint that wil let ya use the original explorer flange.
4- gears are WAY easier to do in the 8.8.
5- heavier market and cheaper parts for the 8.8 as well.
look on ebay, you can get new rotos and pads for both sides of the 8.8 for like 70 shipped....

Yes, the 8.25 is plenty enough for 35's. still beating on mine...

for the 8.8...
1-you wont be diggin trenches, the diff isnt that much larger
2- use the leaf perches you cut off and reweld on for the xj, weld a bolt for shock mount (up high out of the way) and ditch rear swaybar
3- ford ranger or aerostar vans have the 1310 flanges that bolt up so no need to buy a new flange. dont have time to go to the junkyard? fine, parts stores sell a 1310/1330 combo ujoint that wil let ya use the original explorer flange.
4- gears are WAY easier to do in the 8.8.
5- heavier market and cheaper parts for the 8.8 as well.
look on ebay, you can get new rotos and pads for both sides of the 8.8 for like 70 shipped....

Good info as well!! tough decision

Back