• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Straighten Unibody (at Steering Box)

rustytierod

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.

I just got hit head on drivers side, and the frame rail where the steering box mounts was bent about 15-20 deg. (guess) rightward. I knew this before looking because the vehicle tracked straight without pulling after i drove it home, but the steering was off center. Maybe there is more damage in the front rail/bumper mount, not sure.

Should I see a frame/body shop, porta power, torch hammer it out, ?

Will post pics soon. Thanks.

Body shop for sure,thats what insurance is for!

I aint an expert but im sure not an idiot. i know this thing will be totaled, i will try and buy it back. any tips on how to avoid salvage title?

here are some pics, my worry is how to fix that bendage in the front drivers frame rail.

49545789.jpg

36436083.jpg
43000720.jpg

22485946.jpg
50408995.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is that you just lost your structural integrity. Even if you straighten it, you will have to do a lot of work to get it safe for offroad.

The problem is that you just lost your structural integrity. Even if you straighten it, you will have to do a lot of work to get it safe for offroad.

Thanks for the reply. What about keeping it as a daily driver? It seems to be bent at just that point, which is not near the engine mounts.

Back