• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 aw4 problem

wadellis

NAXJA Forum User
well it starts when i had to replace my engine. i am anti automatic so i didnt know about "stacking the pump" (i mated the engine and trans then dropped them both in from the top) DOH! after spending so much having my motor rebuilt i cant spend gobs of cash and i need help deciding my options... find a used trans or whole jeep(or pap) and swap it all in or can/should i pull my trans and replace the pump and tc? i would love to have a ax15 but after adding all the little stuff for the swap it isnt as economical. the jeep has 158k and the jeep was actually at the trans shop when it blew the motor and then they said the transmission is okay and i did drive a few miles with 5cyl and it shifted normally. and on to my other question is if i do have to look for a used trans would a pre 98 trans work? i have dont a lot of researching for days and know all about the tranny but what about retrofitting an older trans into the newer electronics? oh and is swapping tail housings difficult or should i just look for a 23 spline? thanks everyone

just get under it and pull the tranny back a little bit and install the TC correctly, I did a version of that myself but had to pull the tranny cause I busted the front pump. you might not have damaged anything (hope not cause a new pump is 400 from dealer)

If you decide to buy an AW4 I have one from a 1998 XJ I would be willing to sell you.

pm me how much just so i know what im looking at if i go that route

for anyone who knows abut autos... if my pump is busted, can i just buy a pump and replace that and be fine? ill be replacing my torque converter anyways.

i threw a pump from an 89 into my 00 and used original TC and mine shifts perfect

Back