• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker VS. Gears

Jeepfred

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ and was wondering which should I upgrade to first. I got a 4.5 inch lift and running 33" tires, and stock gears. It lags on the highway. What should I do? Get a stroker motor or upgrade my gears first? Which gears would be best for both worlds: on and off road?

Thanks

Um, gears. Gears are a fraction of the cost of a stroker, and fix the actual problem. A stroker will give you more power to move the tires, but you'll still be working the transmission harder. Do gears now and stroker later. Look around in FAQ and/or the stickies at the top of this forum for info on gears. I went with 4.88s for more power. Others will say 4.56 is perfect, others say 4.10 is the way to go. Still others will insist gearing is optional, but we don't listen to them. :D

Are you running the AX-15, or AW4?

if you decide 4.10's will work for you, swapping in an 8.8 is cheaper than re gearing the rear axle

I have a 97 XJ and was wondering which should I upgrade to first. I got a 4.5 inch lift and running 33" tires, and stock gears. It lags on the highway. What should I do? Get a stroker motor or upgrade my gears first? Which gears would be best for both worlds: on and off road?

Thanks

Gears are better on and off the road.

definitely gears. Stroker motor would probably actually just accelerate the run down of your trans due to the added tq AND the poor gearing.

Are you running the AX-15, or AW4?

if you decide 4.10's will work for you, swapping in an 8.8 is cheaper than re gearing the rear axle
i have to dispute this... its all over the internet but i just dont see it being possible. i picked up an 8.8 with disks and 4.10s for $100... ok. by the time i add up brackets, e-brake cables, flange adapter, brake job, fluid, painting, etc. all the little odds and ends, its well over $500. and if you factor in your man hours as shop labor itll be more... cheaper than gearing? no. cheaper than gearing and adding disks, likely.

Thanks yall. I have the automatic AW4 transmission.
4.56s for 33s... 4.88s if you think youll EVER go bigger. do it once.

4.10s are a just a tad high for 33 inch tires. 4.56s are a little low. 4.88s are way too low for 33s unless the vehicle is for offroad only. highway driving all you will do is wind up your rpms. i would do the gears over the stroker. i had a friend put 4.56s in his jeep on 33s... rpms ran a little high. i would run 4.10s if i were you. if you plan on going bigger then put the 4.56s in it.

4.88s run 70 at about 2700 rpm. Not a problem. It's better to spin a little faster than lug the engine and work it and the tranny harder.

Yep, quite sure. Run any of the calculators or talk to anyone else running 4.88s. They're not that far off from 4.56s...

The differences between 4.10's, 4.56's and 4.88's is only approx 100-200rpms or so for each. It's hardly noticeable and not really even worth debating. Gotta love that crazy internet BS effect though. :roflmao: I've got 4.56's and 35's on mine and it runs about 2400rpm's at 70mph in OD just as a reference.

4.10s are a just a tad high for 33 inch tires. 4.56s are a little low. 4.88s are way too low for 33s unless the vehicle is for offroad only. highway driving all you will do is wind up your rpms. i would do the gears over the stroker. i had a friend put 4.56s in his jeep on 33s... rpms ran a little high. i would run 4.10s if i were you. if you plan on going bigger then put the 4.56s in it.

You should qualify your statements a bit better.... For a manual XJ, 4.56 might be great for 33's... but auto's want a tad deeper gears!

My best friend ran around for an entire season on 4.56 gears and p235/75/15 tires. He was getting close to 20 mpg at 70 mph...

It is really hard to gear deep enough. 5.13 and 33's would even be nice to have...

4.56 if you dont plan to go bigger 4.88 if you think your going to step it up one day

Back