• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

41 charging system circuit not responding to control signal, 95 XJ

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This is my moms XJ, she was out of town a week or two ago and the CEL came on. Then shortly after that her battery died. She took it to AutoZone and they tested the battery and said it had a dead cell, the battery was 6 years old so it needed one. She had them replace it and check the alternator. All was well for a week or so until she calls me last night and says the CEL is back on again.

I went by there today and pulled codes 12, 41, 55 out of it.

12 just means that the memory was cleared when the new batter was installed

[FONT=&quot]41 charging system circuit not responding to control signal

55 end of test

I checked the battery cables and sure enough they were loose, I could remove them by hand!

I tightened those up.

I also noticed a green wire w/black stripe behind the battery going to a connector that looks a little melted but it appears to have been that way for a while.

Any suggestions or do you think the loose cables could have been the issue?

THX
[/FONT]

If the terminals were loose that could lead to a No Charge condition.And the PCM couldnt connect.... so a 41 code. I,d let it be for awhile.

If the terminals were loose that could lead to a No Charge condition.And the PCM couldnt connect.... so a 41 code. I,d let it be for awhile.

Yea thats what I was thinking as well. I told her to drive it and if the CEL came back on to just bring it by and drop it off so I can thoroughly troubleshoot it.

I would check the field source and signal wires on the back of the alternator towards the bottom; the connections could be loose or dirty.
The PCM uses these wires to detect and adjust the charging rate.

The light is back on but only intermittent. Sometimes will go for a while and no light other times it comes on at start up then goes out

Back