• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel bearings/hub

gthom79

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if any one could tell me if the bearings in the hub of a Dana 30 are able to be removed and replaced. The diagrams I've seen show it broke down and able to orders just the bearings and seals, and that's what I did. I took my hub off, but it looks like all one piece. The guys at the autoparts store said I can order the hub, but no one can tell me if the bearings come in it. None of my jeep guys around were I live can tell me either. Any help would be greatful.

Dana 30 hubs are unit bearings and are non-serviceable (meaning you are expected to replace the whole unit, rather than the internal bearings and seals). The hub you were directed to at the auto parts store is what you want - it comes with all the necessary bearings, seals, etc. pre-assembled.

Just be sure to re-torque the axle nut to 175 ft-lbs when reassembling to ensure proper bearing preload.

As a side note, I have heard of people replacing just the bearings without buying the entire hub assembly, but from what I've read it is a major PITA to do.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I was missing something or if it was a sealed bearing. Yeah I'm sure I wouldn't want to try to replace just the bearings, it would be to much of a PITA. I guess I need to talk to the parts store tomorrow.

Back