• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rearend

bobsxj

NAXJA Forum User
What are the problems with welding up the rearend on a 89 cherakee with a D35 ? Want a posi for a up coming trip, but do not have the money for a real posi.

d35's are already notoriously weak. You're just looking for more opportunity for failure this way.

That being said, you might not have any problems. YMMV as they say.

Find a cheap 8.25 axle and weld those spiders...

if you have stock sized tires, you may get away with it.

with 31's, even an open diff is sketchy on a d35 with the trails near you.

Save a few bucks and go with a Spartan locker for the front. I got mine shipped for $235 and the install was a piece of cake. Works great off road, can't even tell it's there in 2wd. People talk about tight turns being a problem, I say pick your lines or shift into 2wd if you have to make a tight turn.

I would not reccomend building a D35 at all. If you Lincoln lock it you are asking to be that guy blocking off the trail preventing anyone from passing. You can get an 8.25 for around $100 and a Spartan locker for just over $200. This will be a reliable axle up to 35" tires if you can drive well.

Back