• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro assist steering reservoir location?

sunburned

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to configure my hydro-assist steering setup on the XJ and after reading all the literature about it, it seems I'm supposed to have the fluid reservoir mounted above the steering pump. This is apparently easy on TJ's, but XJ's have the pump mounted super high, not far below the hood. Any suggestions on where to mount my reservoir so it can still gravity feed the pump and not stick through the hood? (KRC pump, similar to the PSC with AN fittings)

Here's where I put my resi for my full hydro setup, all of 5mins to make a mount. The output on the resi is just above the input of the pump. With a 90° fitting on the top is clears the hood by about 1/8" (furthest down position when dropped closed, standard closed position is a little more).

PSReservoirMount.jpg

This shot kinda gives you an idea of the height of it:
InnerFenderPainted.jpg

I can take more pictures if you'd like, but it is pretty simple.

Thanks, I think I saw another guy on Pirate with a similar mounting point. I just recently moved my windshield washer bottle to that location, but I'm sure I can move stuff around a bit. Judging by that side pic, its amazing that actually clears the hood. I don't think my resi has a vent on the top like that, so it should give me a tad more clearance.

Have you ever been in a super off camber situation and had your pump start squealing or steering kinda give out? I think maybe I'm more worried about that than I need to be.

Might've been mine...

4329789080_a57110e9cf_o.jpg

Same deal, the resi outlet and pump inlet are about even. I haven't had any issues like you're talking about, actually I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having issues like that...

Here are two more photos that might add some help. The top of my 90° fitting is 2 5/8" above the middle section of the radiator support.
I too have not had any issues with starvation or pump squealing.

PSReservoirMount3.jpg

PSReservoirMount2.jpg

Last edited:
does ANYONE actually use the bracket psc sells with their kit? doesnt look like it around here!

I've never seen that bracket before?

And I bought the "XJ" kit, albeit in 2007...

I've seen one that mounts it off the brake booster though. Neither would work in my application.

does ANYONE actually use the bracket psc sells with their kit? doesnt look like it around here!
That looks like one of their newer reservoirs so it probably wasn't around when I bought mine. They did include a bracket that mounted off the brake booster as vetteboy said, but that didn't work because it created a dip in the line and my shock was in the way. With a dip in the line that is going to cause the pump to be trying to draw the fluid rather than be feed it. Even PSC recommends (here) that there is no dips or bends in the line and that it is gravity fed from the shortest distance. It looks like from your picture that your feed line goes under the filter then back up (dips), I wouldn't want that.

Last edited:
Back