• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10v at ground????

*Jonathan

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep sits all week and gets driven on the weekends. Last weekend I had to jump my battery since was too weak to start the jeep. Started up ran fine and had 14v at the guage. Today I went to start it and it was dead again. It is too weak to start the jeep and the dome light barely comes on. I put the voltmeter on it and it reads 10 volts. I have a new battery to put in it but I want to make sure that I don't have an electrical drain. I diconnected the negative cable and put my volt meter between the negative post and disconnected negative clamp. I get 10v!!! Is that normal?? I realize I should have my meter set to mA to test draw on the system when off but I can't find that meter right now. I don't have any blown fuses so I can't imagine that I have a major short. Also, before I parked the jeep a few weeks ago everything was fine. I just want to make sure this condition is ok before puting my new battery in.

I have a new battery to put in it but I want to make sure that I don't have an electrical drain. I diconnected the negative cable and put my volt meter between the negative post and disconnected negative clamp. I get 10v!!!
Sounds like you used your multimeter to complete the circuit? If so then any active current would pass through the multimeter.

Was your hood light on?

10 volts is kind of low and indicates a worn battery

Yes the battery is low and also has a present voltage of 10v. Hense my poking and prodding.
I hoping that im just completing the circuit... but my logic fights me in saying that there should never be voltage in a ground wire or terminal.

I diconnected the negative cable and put my volt meter between the negative post and disconnected negative clamp. I get 10v!!! Is that normal?? I realize I should have my meter set to mA to test draw on the system when off but I can't find that meter right now.

Since you have the voltmeter hooked in series, then yes the reading of 10vdc is normal for the condition of your battery. If you can't find an ammeter use a test light in series. Pull one fuse at a time until the lamp no longer illuminates. That will identify a suspect circuit. When doing this test it helps to disconnect the door jam switch as the dome lamp illuminated will give you a false draw load. When you do isolate the circuit and repair the source of your drain don't forget to do the test lamp test again, there could be draws on multiple circuits.

Thanks for the help guys. Ammeter reports no major draw so all send normal. Time to put in the new optima.

Back